Upgrading Creek OBH-21SE --- Heed Canamp or MF X-Can v8
Dec 5, 2008 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Max Dread

Head-Fier
Hi guys

First off, I'm using AKG K701's.

I've only had them a few months, and I bought them at the same time as the Creek amp (the guy sold me both for a discount). I've not been over the moon with the Creek, and I find little difference between that and the headphone out on my EMU 1820m soundcard.

So yesterdayI took my creek and headphones into a local hi-fi store and compared the amp with a MF X-Can v8. To begin with I wasn't sure, but after while I could hear the difference and dfinitely preferred the MF. It revealed more detail and the sound was a bit warmer. Plus it had very little to no burn in.

The other amp I'm considering is the Canamp from Heed. But I don't know anywhere I can try it. So I windered if anyone has had experience with this concoction, and if so if they could enlighten me with opinions! Half the reason for trying the MF was to get a yardstick as to how much the Creek could be improved on for no too much money. Now I have that yardstick, I just need to know more about where the Canamp would fit into the mix!!!

CHEERS!!!!

Max

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 6
I can't give a comparison of the two amps as I haven't tried the X-CanV8, but the Heed does a very good job of maintaining the already very large soundstage of the K701s while providing a sizable increase to the somewhat anemic bass that the K701s are known for.

There's a sizable thread on the subject of the Canamp and K701 Synergy here if you're interested in more reading: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/heed-canamp-192190/

Finally, as a disclosure of possible bias, I'm currently selling a Canamp as I recently got rid of K701s, but I truly do believe the combination to be excellent.

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 6
I did not find the Creek OBH-21 a good match with the K601, both of which are dry in the bass (each of them is good in their own rights but just not together). I had a listen once to the K701 out of a Heed CanAmp and like it. The CanAmp has a 'honey-ish' presentation with a good bottom-end to match and makes a good pair with the AKG. I don't think you can go wrong with this amp for your K701.

HIHs. Cheers!

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 6
havent heard the heed canamp. but have been using the v8 with the k701 for some months now and am really happy with the combo. The x-can extends the bass quite a bit, increases detail and the already big soundstage of the k701, and is a very pleasant sounding amp in general, smooth
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back