Upgrading comp setup suggestions
Apr 14, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #16 of 31
  think ive decided on the Yamaha HS5's ... ill just save for a bit longer :3 they sounded amazing in person compared to any of the other 3 

I've heard the HS5, They had a very pronounced peak at 500-2000 Hz range. The HS8's were much better sounding. Very flat response.

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #17 of 31
I use KRK rp6 g3's and think they are fabulous value for money, and you wont need a sub in 95% of occasions.
regards a previous comment on bass, its simply not the case, they may be warm but there is nothing flabby or inflated about the bass IMO.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #18 of 31
ok necro'ing an old thread...

a few months ago, maybe 2.. i sat at guitar center and played my own music for give or take an hour... 

yeah the HS5's sound nice... but how much better are they than my current setup? to have something similar to what i have now, id have to pay 300 for monitors and 500 for the sub to match. even if i cut and what not a cable to use my current sub, still 300. HS5's definitely dont have lower range and require help in that aspect. 

would it be worth to upgrade amp and speakers to something like Emotiva Mini-x a-100 or SMSL SA-60 and like Fluance SX6 or Pioneer SP-BS22-LR? Be at give or take 100 less than i would pay for monitors

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #19 of 31
It'd certainly be more flexible. If your sub is powered, and has line inputs, should be simple to integrate them.

I'm currently running a diy tpa3116, which is basically what the sa-60 is. It's a great sounding chip amp, but easily replaceable if you don't like it's sound signature. Those speakers are 8ohm though, these low power amps tend to work better with efficient 4ohm speakers. But I've found for desktop usage, the difference doesn't matter much. These amps sound much cleaner with a good regulated power supply.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #20 of 31
ive always wanted to do a DIY tube amp or something. but hard to find guides and part lists... maybe its not something for the beginner XD

maybe should just buy a SA-60 =X wonder  if thats the best amp to get around that price point. quite the jump from current lepai 2020

the pioneers dropped to 99 on amazon for some reason while the fluances are still 129. the temptation ! 

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #21 of 31
  ive always wanted to do a DIY tube amp or something. but hard to find guides and part lists... maybe its not something for the beginner XD

maybe should just buy a SA-60 =X wonder  if thats the best amp to get around that price point. quite the jump from current lepai 2020

the pioneers dropped to 99 on amazon for some reason while the fluances are still 129. the temptation ! 

I've been playing around with this as a preamp, won on ebay for $28 shipped. The seller starts these at $0.99 constantly.  I've got 4 pairs of tubes I've picked up for $15 or less per pair. it's been fun so far. No real issues except the fact it picks up cellphone interference easily. Some tubes more than others, but they all do to an extent. Changing tubes noticeably changes the sound signature. Nice cheap way to dip into playing with tubes.

I've also bought one of these, you can find them on ebay all day long for $28 shipped, sans power supply. It uses a tpa3116, same chipset as the SA-60. It's been  working very well so far.

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #22 of 31
are tube amps prone to cellular signal more? or that amp in general does? 

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #23 of 31
  are tube amps prone to cellular signal more? or that amp in general does? 

My guess is both. This particular one is enclosed in a plexiglass case, and probably doesn't offer much if any shielding. I've swapped tubes, and some are more prone than others. Take that for what it's worth. I guess I could find some copper mesh, and copper tape and see if shielding this thing does anything.

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #24 of 31
  My guess is both. This particular one is enclosed in a plexiglass case, and probably doesn't offer much if any shielding. I've swapped tubes, and some are more prone than others. Take that for what it's worth. I guess I could find some copper mesh, and copper tape and see if shielding this thing does anything.

i guess. lookin into the tpa3116 amps on ebay. theres one for 28.80 shipped. does it come with a power adapter or u need to find one (or better one) 

wonder how good of an amp i can get before they get big in size for a cheap price XD 

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #25 of 31

i guess. lookin into the tpa3116 amps on ebay. theres one for 28.80 shipped. does it come with a power adapter or u need to find one (or better one) 

wonder how good of an amp i can get before they get big in size for a cheap price XD 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271889387991

That's the exact one I bought, got it in 13 days shipped from China! It didn't come with a power supply. I had two on hand that worked, a 12v 1.5a creative that I can't remember where it came from, and a 18.5v 3a HP laptop supply. It sounds more transparent with the 12v, but had more oomph with the 18.5v. On another forum, people had really good results with an astron rs-12a. People also reported good results with this http://www.parts-express.com/pyramid-ps4kx-power-supply-138-vdc-3a--120-532

I have one of these on the way http://www.parts-express.com/power-supply-regulated-3-12-vdc-2a-6-way--120-536

I'll report back how that works out.

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #26 of 31
is that big of a power supply really required? vs like a block one designed for like a laptop? =X 

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #27 of 31
  is that big of a power supply really required? vs like a block one designed for like a laptop? =X 

Not sure myself since I haven't tried it myself since the one I ordered hasn't arrived yet. From what I've gathered, laptop supplies are all switching power supplies, which are by design noisier. That may mean a noisier noise floor. Using one i can hear a small amount of hiss if I put my ear inches away from the speaker. I've tested the same speakers on a sony ht receiver, and that had even more hiss than the tpa3116 powered by a laptop supply. The regulated power supplies are an older design that's larger, runs hotter, and less efficient. But are supposed to be less noisy. Ultimately a battery is supposed to be the lowest noise power supply. I was considering picking up a SLA 12v, 6a battery, and charger to try out, but that would be about $50 from batteries plus. Decided to try the cheaper option first. I should mention, sitting even 2 feet away from the speakers, I can't hear the hiss. I literally have to pyt my ear up to it, and even then, I'd only notice it during quiet sections if music is playing.

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #28 of 31
 Power supply voltage:
12V ------- 8 Ohm speaker / 12W (left channel) + 12W (right channel), 4 ohm speaker / 20W (left channel) + 20W (left channel),
15V ------- 8 ohm / 18 + 18W, 4 ohm / greater than 30 + 30W,
19V ------- 8 ohm / 32 + 32W, 4 ohm / greater than 45 + 45W,
24V ------- 8 ohm / 38 + 38W, 4 ohm / greater than 55 + 55W,

from the amp's ebay description

so more power in, more power out essentially o.o

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #30 of 31
oh interesting... learn something new every day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back