Upgrading comp setup suggestions
Apr 6, 2015 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

iandroo888

New Head-Fier
Yeah i know its another one of these threads but kinda not want to hi-jack someone elses

Current Set-Up

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 => Lepai LP-2020A+ => Dayton Audio Sub-1000 => Dayton Audio B652

I had built wood stands for the speakers so the tweeters were about ear level too *still quite proud on how the stands came out* XD 

So i want to upgrade the B652's. I understand the active powered speakers are each individually powered with a built in amp and each push out a decent amount of bass so technically anything in my current set up passed the 2i2 is gonna be replaced. 

Here was some speakers i had found to be similar in comparison in quality/price range

M-Audio BX5 D2
JBL LSR305
KRK Rokit 5" 

each with 5" cones and 1" tweeter. For those who've tried these speakers, what are your thoughts on them? 

I want an all-around speaker. Good for movies and music (edm, classical, pop, rock, etc) 

any suggestions? 

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 31
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 => Lepai LP-2020A+ => Dayton Audio Sub-1000 => Dayton Audio B652 I had built wood stands for the speakers so the tweeters were about ear level too *still quite proud on how the stands came out* XD 
So i want to upgrade the B652's. I understand the active powered speakers are each individually powered with a built in amp and each push out a decent amount of bass so technically anything in my current set up passed the 2i2 is gonna be replaced. 
Here was some speakers i had found to be similar in comparison in quality/price range
M-Audio BX5 D2
JBL LSR305
KRK Rokit 5" 
each with 5" cones and 1" tweeter. For those who've tried these speakers, what are your thoughts on them? 
I want an all-around speaker. Good for movies and music (edm, classical, pop, rock, etc) 
any suggestions? 

Where you planning on still using the Dayton sub with the new speakers?

Check out the Monoprice 5" studio monitors ($170.79), they seem to come from the same factory where the M-Audio BX5s come from.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 31
active speakers have enough bass by itself no? was plannin on moving the sub downstairs 

yeah i saw those monoprice ones. something about built the same way but for some reason, they are lighter. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 31
  active speakers have enough bass by itself no? was plannin on moving the sub downstairs 

Yeah i saw those Monoprice ones. something about built the same way but for some reason, they are lighter. 

M-Audio BX5 D2 is 10.4 pounds each
Monoprice 5" is 9.7 pounds each

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 31
but no one could figure out where that 0.5lb went XD 

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 31
Apr 7, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 31
has anyone tried those speakers and lasted? theres reviews how they dont last that long... 

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 31
  Has anyone tried those speakers and lasted? there's reviews how they don't last that long... 

I've been using the Monoprice 5" studio monitors for about a year, never any issues with them.
Where did you see the reviews saying the Monoprice studio monitors do not last that long?

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 31
on the product page

02/19/2015, 12/27/2014

on the side note since you have these, do u use with a sub? or just stand alone? 

dont think i can use with sub cuz sub has those uhm... not plug plugs... =[ 

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 31
I'm going to be rough with some phraseology here, so excuse me if you have a different opinion about any of this equipment.
M-Audio BX5 D2 - inferior flimsy crap, as, well, pretty much anything that this firm puts on the table. A pair of Genius speakers for $50 will be on a similar scale to M-audio for $300
KRK Rokit 5" - very bassy, thick and hyped up output. Does not do justice to the source material and is not a fair deal for the price point.
JBL LSR305 - haven't heard these, so I will reserve my opinion. From what I have heard about them, JBL makes rather high quality drivers that even some custom speaker makers use for their setups. May be the better choice of the 3 for the purpose that you have mentioned.

My suggestion: you have a rather decent Focusrite audio interface, do yourself a favor and get a pair of Focal CMSs which are not much more expensive than what you have mentioned but clarity-wise are on the next level. The bass in Focal CMSs is very realistic, contoured and well shaped.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 31
  on the product page

02/19/2015, 12/27/2014

on the side note since you have these, do u use with a sub? or just stand alone? 

dont think i can use with sub cuz sub has those uhm... not plug plugs... =[ 

I do not use a sub with my studio monitors, just not into that much bass.
Also I mostly use headphones (movies & music), studio monitors are more for those few times I do not feel like wearing headphones.

So on the Monoprice review pages, 2 of the 40 reviews have one speaker each stopped functioning.
So out of 80 studio monitors, 2 went bad, so it's a 2.5% failure rate.
I think that is a low failure rate.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 31
  I'm going to be rough with some phraseology here, so excuse me if you have a different opinion about any of this equipment.
M-Audio BX5 D2 - inferior flimsy crap, as, well, pretty much anything that this firm puts on the table. A pair of Genius speakers for $50 will be on a similar scale to M-audio for $300
KRK Rokit 5" - very bassy, thick and hyped up output. Does not do justice to the source material and is not a fair deal for the price point.
JBL LSR305 - haven't heard these, so I will reserve my opinion. From what I have heard about them, JBL makes rather high quality drivers that even some custom speaker makers use for their setups. May be the better choice of the 3 for the purpose that you have mentioned.

My suggestion: you have a rather decent Focusrite audio interface, do yourself a favor and get a pair of Focal CMSs which are not much more expensive than what you have mentioned but clarity-wise are on the next level. The bass in Focal CMSs is very realistic, contoured and well shaped.

Ow those focal ones are $425/ea and up ! D: I heard the LSR305's by JBL follow the same design as some 10k+ dollar ones they have too which puts these really good... 

I do not use a sub with my studio monitors, just not into that much bass.
Also I mostly use headphones (movies & music), studio monitors are more for those few times I do not feel like wearing headphones.

So on the Monoprice review pages, 2 of the 40 reviews have one speaker each stopped functioning.
So out of 80 studio monitors, 2 went bad, so it's a 2.5% failure rate.
I think that is a low failure rate.

yeah not too much of a bass-head either but i like it for movies or EDM/etc. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 31
  Yeah not too much of a bass-head either but i like it for movies or EDM/etc. 

If you want more bass then what the Monoprice 5" will give you, then get the Monoprice 8" studio monitors ($255).
But the 8" studio monitors will not be back in stock for 15 days.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 31
think ive decided on the Yamaha HS5's ... ill just save for a bit longer :3 they sounded amazing in person compared to any of the other 3 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back