Upgrading car horn
Apr 25, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #17 of 34
Wow... I was considering doing the same thing to my car.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to get? I would like something similar to the Ferrari 2-3 tone horn. Don't even know where to start looking. Wouldn't mind spending a little bit to get a great sound.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #18 of 34
Hella Supertones are the defacto high performance aftermarket solution.

Hella Horns

They sound sweet. Search ebay for the sound of them. Either that, or go into a junkyard and find a big ass mean looking car, and rip the horns out of it for $2. That's what I did.

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #21 of 34
Wow. That is awful. Check some civic forums to see if you need a relay, but I'm guessing you don't. Didn't your horns come with instructions?

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #22 of 34
I didn't even order it yet, but I have heard that the instructions are wrong, and that you need a relay.. Maybe I'll go into a car parts store and ask them?

By the way, yes, the Civic horn sounds so weak. It's kind of embarrassing and that's why I want to replace it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #26 of 34
Try installing two discordant horns. Did that on my old Comet - one is in A and the other is in C. It sounds awful, but it makes people pay attention, which is the point.

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #27 of 34
intoflatlines, I found this DIY at 8thCivic.com:
DIY - Replace your factory horn with 118db "Bad Boy" (39 pics) - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

I would like to add that a relay is recommended if you're going to replace the horn with something that uses quite a bit of power. The horn uses the same fuse as the brake lights, so if you hit the brakes and the horn at the same time, you may blow the fuse. Also, if you get a "trumpet" style horn, make sure to aim the opening downwards so that water doesn't collect inside.

Another option is to replace the horn with the horn from the Fit. It's just a plug and play. Here's two videos comparing the two:
Video of Original Horn - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Video of Fit Type S Horn - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #28 of 34
I heard recabling them makes a day&night difference. Much better highs and more pronounced bottom. Ah, lovely.

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #29 of 34
Bah... skip the car horn and get a PA in Blues Brothers fashion...

Blues-Brothers-Car-Picture.jpg

Now you can yell at the cars around you
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard recabling them makes a day&night difference. Much better highs and more pronounced bottom. Ah, lovely.

Ahahahahaha. Nice.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back