Upgrading. Asking for some good help/opinions
Mar 3, 2008 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

quidathhaderak

New Head-Fier
Ok,

so I sifted through a lot of these. I don't post much/at all but have been reading these board for quite a while.

I got my K81DJ. Recabled and everything. I like them for general purpose decently well. I use them to travel and walking around with my portable rig (I use no apm...yet - that comes in the future so unamped is a priority, with a minor stipulation that some day there might be something there - probably a cMoy for starters. I like to build things), and computer and they have served as my main rig mainly because of my budget (the less I upgrade the better, I know, I know...but I've had decent discipline so far), give decent bass and they can take the beating of being shoved in a backpack/being on the move in general. Mostly I've used them for hip-hop and harder rock, but there is a really variable mix of things of things I listened to them with. They seem to work real well for my general needs for me. I agree with the views that they can be uncomfortable, and depending on the musical source can be muddy even with the mods, but I see them as a decent bang for the buck in the price range. Had them for 9+ months. Maybe a year. To make the long story short - I am fine with them BUT

I figured, I might get something new, and more refined for more sophisticated genres and listening (read: jazz, classical, better-quality rock). I was thinking along the lines of MS-1. Recently I started contemplaiting the RP-21's. I hear that RP-21 can be had as low as $70 (haven't looked yet, so I cannot confirm this, but have read it here somewhere).
I don't really care for closed/open because I would probably use these at home, but on rare occasions I don't, sound leakage could be an issue (minor consideration). I do enjoy bass, but again a minor consideration. I am looking for something that will not crush the piggy bank (again, I am fully aware of where I am posting this). Up to $100 could work for me fine. I will get something really high-quality "when I grow up."

So really, I am just trying to get my feet wet in the audiophile equipment to develop a decent taste, and fill my needs as of now. Obviously, as everyone else here, I want one headphone to do it all, and don't mind parting ways with the K81DJ's eventually, but I don't see that happening that soon, as their niche is quite secure. I need them when I go to school etc. because of the isolation and lack of sound leakage.
Having something for relax at home would be a huge plus (comfort/refinement/alternative to different genre), as long as it can handle what I am looking for. I am just looking for a good pair of cans, allowing me to listen to my stuff in private, that I could upgrade (maybe enhance with an amp) in the future for something more serious; OR, keep in the future to replace the AKG's, and get something much better anyway as a general ugrade.
So please give me some pointers on what way to go. I am open to all suggestions. I am also opening a separate thread about IEMs, as they fill a completely different niche for me as well. Please check that out as well if you have a good ideas.

Lastly, I don't mind experimenting, and am not afraid of trying things and reselling them. I would really like to try some stuff too, but can't seem to find a meet anywhere in the Philly region, so if there are people who know something I don't about that, and/or are willing to let me try out, possibly audition some equipment please PM me. I have a very good (perfect feedback) Ebay reputation, and very open rapport with people I deal with, and have never ripped anyone off or anything; and I would certainly do anything in my powers to make anyone letting me try stuff out as comfortable as possible.

THANK YOU

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 9
MS-1's excel at jazz, from my modest time reference with them. Probably the best genre I have heard on them, from my experience.

They hold their value really well, too, so if you don't like them, you can always resell them, and you won't be out much.

Play with pads, though. I don't think that you will be happy with the stock comfies for what you're looking for. I'm using modded Senn 414 pads, and they really bring out the detail.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Havent heard any Grado's, but I really didn't like my pair of RP-21's (I listen to mostly classical, experimental and 70-80's rock/alternative). The RP-21's sounded flat out of my iPod and didn't improve on my home rig. If your thinking of 100$ish closed cans, I recommend HD-280's - I liked them a ton better than RP-21.

If you want to try stuff - try stuff. If you buy used you can usually sell it here for what you paid, less shipping, without any problem.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 9
I think you mean "Kwisatz Haderach"

IMHO, don't even bother with anything closed unless you're willing to go to $150 (DT250). Open, i'd suggest that you try to audition things if at all possible, as headphones vary widely in that price range. The Koss porta-pros might do you right.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you mean "Kwisatz Haderach"

Nah I don't, long story...haha. But I really like where your head is at.

Anyway, I am not set on closed at all. I've just basically set myself on MS-1, and then I started rethinking it one more time and RP-21 came up, and so I started thinking if I am even on the right track, so then I just figured it was time for my first (albeit long) post.

just seeing what people with more experience have to say.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS-1's excel at jazz, from my modest time reference with them. Probably the best genre I have heard on them, from my experience.

They hold their value really well, too, so if you don't like them, you can always resell them, and you won't be out much.

Play with pads, though. I don't think that you will be happy with the stock comfies for what you're looking for. I'm using modded Senn 414 pads, and they really bring out the detail.

yea that was the consensus why I thought about them. It seems that SR-60 would be great to get my feet wet, but then there's always the SR-80 for like $20 more. But people can't seem to agree on what's a better option, so I started getting convinced that MS-1 is really not all that much more expensive (relative) and just takes the best from both and adds something little of its own into the mix (and possibly beyond). Great sound, good value, so-so comfort (subjective), can be resold well in the future. Bottom line, their review seem to be raving about them, and I don't mind modding.

Still though, I keep feeling like I am missing something - like if I was overseeing DT-880 if I was in that price range....does that make sense?

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by quidathhaderak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, seriously nobody has anything to say?

Sorry, bra...

I only have real, extended experience with the MS-1's and PX-100's.

I'm new to the whole headphone thing myself!
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back