Upgrading Alessandro MS-1
May 22, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can upgrade the soundcard to Mister X's Alien DAC/XP amp combo, It can be found for around $200 used I believe.

I'd recommend that too, but MisterX doesn't make Alien DAC's anymore. If he did, I would have bought that instead of my SuperMicro IV.

May 23, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgdef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok you should know that MS1 needs to be burned in in order to actually sound great.

Does it matter what kind of music I'm playing while burning in?

May 23, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #18 of 42
Well, you're not going to get too far with your SB Live. I say the source upgrades listed above should be first priority at this point.

After your source is upgraded a bit, then consider different headphones if the MS-1's still don't suit you. You may like the more energetic Grado sound over the MS-1's
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 23, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by afton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it matter what kind of music I'm playing while burning in?

Well most people would say use pink noise. You can find samples on the web and a description of what it is. But if you can't get a good quality file just load up your favorite playlist. You won't stress that headphones the same way but you will get audible results pretty fast since you listen to music with about the same audio properties. I think it took about 10-20 hours of burn in to get some results. You should also remember to keep the volume just a bit louder than what you would listen to.

But the think about ms1 is that the burn in continues for the first several months although after you get them initially burned in you probably won't notice the slight improvements. Eventually they get to a point where they really sound great for a $100 pair of cans. Come to think about it, yes they were kinda disappointing at first ...

May 23, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgdef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it took about 10-20 hours of burn in to get some results.

Second ahhh, thats better point is at about 300h or so.

May 23, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #21 of 42
Crazy as it sounds; I've had my MS2i since last September, and even now I continue to notice improvements in sound on some of the CDs that I haven't listened to in a few weeks. We're not talking "brain" changes here, we're talking actual changes in the bass where it may have sounded "fluffy" before, but is considerably more distinct today.

....hey! That's almost nine months! And I listen to these things a LOT!!

May 23, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #22 of 42
I keep reading posts about modding MS-1 with
Sennheiser 414 pads. Is this for comfy factor only?
(as I found the MS-1 pads to be pretty comfy)

Does it make any difference to the sound quality?

May 23, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by geekbanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a good quality $10 6ft Belkin cable and that fixed the problem, no joke.

Where can I get this cable?

May 24, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #24 of 42
I found the cable here:
http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/21379.html
At the time the company was having an anniversary sale and I got 5% off. Right now it is listed at $12.

As for the 414 pads it is both for comfort and to try something different. Some like comfies, others bowls, and the rest like 414s. Its really just playing around to see what you like.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #26 of 42
I'm surprised noone has recommended a TBAAM for $30 to be plugged into your computer's USB port. It is an alternative headphone/line out (with digital out as well) that is of surprisingly good quality considering it's price. Click on the link in my sig for product details. Of course, if your collection of MP3s (or whatever) are of poor quality then better amplification won't be all that helpful. I had to rerip all of my MP3s via LAME VBR. Much better!

Also, bowl pads make a big difference in elevating the level of sonic detail in your MS-1s. Reversed HD414s work almost as well. Anything is better than the stock comfy pads IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back