Upgrading Alessandro MS-1
Jun 24, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #32 of 42
i wonder why no one consider to change into grado flat pads? is it worse?

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyostrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arent the stock pads flat?

Yeah; the stock pads with MS1 are kinda flat alright, but the name they go by is "Comfy". While the comfy pads have a solid foam surface over the drivers, the Flats have a hole in the center the same as the bowls, but the flats are roughly half the thickness of the bowls. So the three Grado pads normally used on the MS1 are the stock Comfies, the bowls as used on all other Grados and Alessandros above the SR-60 and MS-1...but not the "bagels" used on GS1K
tongue.gif
....and the Flats which are the old style Grado pads used a few years back instead of the bowls but were recently replaced by the bowls. The flats are currently only offered through TTVJ.

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #35 of 42
Since the drivers are not exposed w. the comfies, they sound the worst wouldn't they?

For aesthetic purposes, I would personally choose the bowls over the yellow 414 cushions. Especially if you plan to wear them outside. Not to mention that Grado chose to equip them on their higher models...must mean something.

This thread is probably one of the most useful threads here. Compact and straight forward. Also puts things in perspective for me surrounding the hype of these things. Bookmarked.

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the drivers are not exposed w. the comfies, they sound the worst wouldn't they?

For aesthetic purposes, I would personally choose the bowls over the yellow 414 cushions. Especially if you plan to wear them outside. Not to mention that Grado chose to equip them on their higher models...must mean something.

This thread is probably one of the most useful threads here. Compact and straight forward. Also puts things in perspective for me surrounding the hype of these things. Bookmarked.

Do the comfies sound worst? I dunno! I was so busy pad rolling while breaking in the phones that all the changes took place while I was swapping and cutting different sized holes in my 414s and I have no clue to what the comfies sound like on seasoned cans! And I can't FIND them! I thought sure they were in my MS-1 Pizza Box, but they're gone!! I've only had them since a year ago March. They certainly couldn't have crumbled into dust this quickly! I do have a pair of Rat-Shack pads that are similar to comfies, and they do muffle the sound a little bit.

The pads I use on my MS-1 are the pretty yellow 414s. I tried the bowls on them when I first received my MS2i and thought they sounded a bit "better" but the comfort gain of the 414s made me put them back on. To be honest, and I thought of this a while later, I didn't think to readjust the headband when I put the bowls on, so I may have not gotten a truthful appraisal. The same thing when I tried the reversed and modded414s on the MS2i. Didn't think to adjust the band.
frown.gif

I have worn the MS-1 outside quite often with the yeller pads, but at my age I can even get away with wearing stripes and plaids. Shucks; at my age it's EXPECTED!

Actually in my situation the yellow pads are an advantage! We have four Grandkids living with us and quite often they "borrow" my MS-1 and forget where they left them in a semi-dark room....I can spot them more easily and haven't sat on them as often as I may have!

...they've gotten better with them lately. I had to take them away from the kids when they left them in their computer chair and the cans fell down in the swivel mechanism and one of them inadvertently gave the chair a spin. Ripped big chunks out of the insulation between the "Y" block and the housings. That was about six months ago but the cans still work beautifully even if they aren't quite so pretty any more!

The bowls are good though. I almost wish I would have given the MS-1 a better test with the bowls way back then. To my ears they sounded better on the MS-1, but the comfort wasn't quite as good as the 414s. I've since learned that a few months of wearing does a lot to add to the comfort of the pads as they wear-in to the user. Thoughts of breaking-in a new set of bowls on the MS-1?
blink.gif

Yuck!!
wink.gif

But yeah; pad selection is a pretty personnel thing. John and I may have similarily aged ears. What works for us, may not work for everybody else!

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #37 of 42
so what about flat pads? are they better than 414 pads or bowl?

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by afton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it matter what kind of music I'm playing while burning in?

I just plugged them into my 5 dollar transistor radio with what ever station comes in, I will change the channel ever so often for about 100 hours or so. They will sound sooo much better. The volume is as loud as my better half can stand it burning in. Please burn in before making any judgements. And they sound great with my red Tomahawk!

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #40 of 42
yeah. i didn't think mine sounded that good but after listening to them for a while they get really good sounding. i also bought bowls and hd414 pads. but i only use bowls now. i think they sound the best.

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...they've gotten better with them lately. I had to take them away from the kids when they left them in their computer chair and the cans fell down in the swivel mechanism and one of them inadvertently gave the chair a spin. Ripped big chunks out of the insulation between the "Y" block and the housings. That was about six months ago but the cans still work beautifully even if they aren't quite so pretty any more!

I bet you don't allow your purty MS2s to get this much 'publicity' do you?
eggosmile.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet you don't allow your purty MS2s to get this much 'publicity' do you?
eggosmile.gif

Nope! It's pretty much Keepadahandsoff kids!

...although the 13 year old is gaining some appreciation and I sometimes allow him to wear them with unerring supervision!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back