upgraded to a newer Mac Mini and now the sound is VERY thin...
Nov 3, 2014 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Detex

Head-Fier
I just picked up a new(er) Mac Mini and swapped everything over through a time machine transfer and now the sound is VERY thin and muffled. Before everything sounded pretty excellent but now there is a total lack of body and the sound is muffled... Any thoughts would be great.

Went from a late 2009 mini to a late 2012 mini. Nothing else changed.

System components:

PS Audio DA converter.
VTL IT-85 Amp
Devore Gibbons Speakers.
HD600 Headphones.

I thought it may be placement but CDs sound fine and the digital audio is REALLY lacking... No settings were changed since it was a direct clone of the old system. It sounds as if it is coming out of a tin can!!! Both digital and USB out.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 6
I am thinking the Mac is doing something different since the lady friend noticed it right away. It is like listening to music in a car with one speaker now... I think there must be some settings that changed in the background but I can't find them.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 6
I really am ignorant when it comes to mac, but my guess is that time machine is an image of a drive and shouldn't really serve that purpose. meaning it should be to change one drive for another, maybe not one computer for another. so when you went with your late mini to the new one you end up with some wrong drivers for a few components(again I might be all wrong, I'm thinking general computer here).
did you try to run any update after using time machine?

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 6
I have not but that is a good idea. I did notice a few setting changed after the move such as EQs being turned on and volume leveling stuff as well... With those off it did sound far better but I am not sure it is to where it was just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back