Upgrade to Xonar Essence or buy Headphone amp?
Jan 14, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #16 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Essence STX can drive the HD650's..

So can a portable amp, the question is where will it drive them
rolleyes.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #18 of 103
One thing is sure is that I will knowing it this weekend...

I'll put to the tests my new Xonar Essence STX and my modded X-Meridian against the gears of Pompon: SinglePower Dragon, SinglePower MPX3 Slam, AudioResearch CD3 MK2, HD650 recabled with Equinox LE...

Wait for our review...
atsmile.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #19 of 103
Remember to test with high imidence headphone where Xonar Essence STX really shines... :wink:

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #20 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember to test with high imidence headphone where Xonar Essence STX really shines... :wink:

My understanding of this is that it would be best to have lower impedance headphones for the STX because of the lower voltage swing. Will anyone else clarify?

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #22 of 103
As for the STX powering the HD650's. Info verified by trusted freind who owns both the HD650's and the STX.
I asked simple question "Can the STX power your HD650's"
He said "No Problem"

Take it as you will.

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #23 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the STX powering the HD650's. Info verified by trusted freind who owns both the HD650's and the STX.
I asked simple question "Can the STX power your HD650's"
He said "No Problem"

Take it as you will.

Is it as good as the better desktop amp though? That's the million dollar question.

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #24 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it as good as the better desktop amp though? That's the million dollar question.

If it could desktop amp business will be down soon?
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #26 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Desktop amps usually have multiple outputs (not the least of which is XLR for the good ones) and multiple inputs.

For those very reasons, no sound card will be replacing them

I really don't think that's the reason.
wink.gif

Ok, this seems card seems to be getting into religious war territory, guess it's going on my "not going to bother commenting" list along with a few others FOTMs.

Updated a little info:
Headphone driver is TPA6120, a fairly interesting chip (monstrous slew rate, but requires input buffer or DC servo). I'm guessing the input buffer is the NE5532 beside it. Not bad, but hey, people actually think the Benchmark DAC-1 had a good headphone amp too
rolleyes.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #27 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Ok, this seems card seems to be getting into religious war territory, guess it's going on my "not going to bother commenting" list along with a few others FOTMs.

Heh, yeah, that's the impression I was getting too.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #28 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Perhaps that's the normal response when people experiencing shockingly huge difference based on originally low expactations from a "sound card".

Give it some more time man, if more reviews keep pour in and still with positive results, perhaps this card is really writing a new page in the sound card history.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #29 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps that's the normal response when people experiencing shockingly huge difference based on originally low expactations from a "sound card".

Give it some more time man, if more reviews keep pour in and still with positive results, perhaps this card is really writing a new page in the sound card history.

Not to be harsh on the Essence, however, most of the raving reviews are from newer members who have little or no experience in a desktop amp. That's why I keep hoping more experienced members would take a good look at the Essence and see if they're just FOTM or the real deal.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #30 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to be harsh on the Essence, however, most of the raving reviews are from newer members who have little or no experience in a desktop amp. That's why I keep hoping more experienced members would take a good look at the Essence and see if they're just FOTM or the real deal.

agreed. i've tried a lot of soundcards and even though they're great value for the money, they just don't match good desktop amps. if i ever upgrade to the STX from the claro plus+ i would do it only for the slight improvement of the DAC section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back