Upgrade to Ultrasone PRO 2900s
May 24, 2012 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Naphta

New Head-Fier
Just looking for an upgrade, no budget really.

What I like about my current phones is that the sub bass is really nice and I can feel a significant amount of depth in tracks. However at higher volumes they're definitely too bright for me and I'm a huge treble whore. I'm not bothered if its open back or closed because they will be used exclusively at home anyway.

What I have currently is:

Amp: Neco Soundlab Mosfett Amp
DAC: Audio-GD NFB-3.1
Headphones: Ultrasone PRO 2900 / ATH-M50s

The sort of music I generally listen to (but not limited to) is most forms of Electronica (e.g. Trance, House, Electro) so some phones suited towards that would be best I feel, but I don't want something which is literally a one trick pony and there is some classical, rock, industrial music in my library which I don't want to be completely neglected. Although the higher end phones I assume won't have this problem particularly.

May 24, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 5
You're looking to replace the Pro2900?

There's a whole lot of directions I'd suggest considering - open and closed.

In the world of the closed can, look at the Denon D2000/5000/7000 before they vanish, Kenwood KH-K1000, and perhaps the Beyerdynamic T70 or DT770.

In the world of the open can, look at the Sennheiser HD 600/650, Sony MDR-SA5000, and perhaps the Beyerdynamic DT990.

May 24, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 5
I'll be honest, the LCD-2's are interesting me a lot. But I imagine I'd need to pickup a tube amp for that?

No you don't have to use tubes; in fact it'd probably be more of a pain to use tubes with orthos than not. Schiit explicitly states that the Valhalla is not appropriate, I'm not sure about Little Dot, and Woo specs the WA6SE as their "entry" for orthos. That said, there's many hybrid amps with insane output abilities (like the Lyr and the HiFiMan amps).

But it doesn't require tubes - SS can drive them just as well. They're less efficient than your Ultrasones, sure, but not as bad as the HE-6 or (AKG) K1000.

May 24, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I'll be honest, the LCD-2's are interesting me a lot. But I imagine I'd need to pickup a tube amp for that?

Even an ipod will power them to a reasonable volume level. I always used SS amps with orthos and they work great. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back