Upgrade to the JH5's?
Apr 5, 2012 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LiteKirby

100+ Head-Fier
My JH5's got lost, which is a long story in of itself, but not necessarily relevant to the topic.

Anyway, I'm looking to get a newer better pair of Custom IEMs.  I loved the sound of the JH5s, though better is always, well, better.

I was mostly looking at the higher-end JH pairs, though I'm not too sure the differences in sound etc.  Most of what I was looking for was a bit better bass, I always look back at my X10s and wish I had that they had that amount of bass and extension.

I was thinking the 10X3, though for the extra $50 are the 11's worth it?  Anyone know how much of a difference sound signature wise they are?

I've done a bit of reading, and granted it's hard to find people that've had multiple customs, especially some that are so close, however if anyone has ideas or threads that I may have missed in regards to their sounds, please link me, or personal experience is probably the best!

Thanks tons in advance.

Edit: To add a bit to this, I listen to it out of my iPod Touch 4th Gen with a FiiO7 (9? I forget which is which) amp, mostly to progressive rock harder rock.  Don't know if that helps at all in regards to toning down opinions but yeah.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 9
JH7.

Ok, only semi-kidding here. In general, you'll notice the numbering of JH models appears paired:
JH5, JH7
JH10, JH11
JH13, JH16

I did a fair bit of reading up before I got my customs (13, if you're wondering). Most of what I read--various sources--pointed to the conclusion that the smaller numbered model in each "pair" was less bassy. 

think I tried the JH5 and 7 demos, but that was a long time ago, so it would be unreliable for me to attempt a comparison.

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 9
My understanding is JH10 is very flat and neutral with very extended treble.  I once read the UE10 (also designed by Jerry Harvey) was a TF10 without a mid-bass tweak so more reference level sounding.  I am thinking the JH13 is the more refined upgrade to JH10.

Have not heard the JH7 but I think it is a mid-point between JH5 and JH16 but I could stand to be corrected.  I don't think anyone on Head-Fi owns JH7

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 9

This is based off of the impressions I've read.

The JH7 is an upgrade in every way to the JH5, but not necessarily by leaps and bounds. You'll find an increased refinement on all areas, suchs as lows being a little stronger, while the mids are  more pronounced and detailed, while the highs are almost the same but again slightly improved.

The JH10 is the most neutral of the line up. Often described as sterile, and not very engaging.
The JH10X3 is not unlike the JH7 in that it is an improvement in pretty much every aspect from the JH5, but with more of a mid focus than the JH7 and clearer highs.
The JH11 is the JH10X3 but with an added low end driver for stronger and lower bass, while (supposedly) having a slightly clearer mid section, and slightly crisper highs. While one reviewer/headfier claimed that it was a massive improvement over the 10X3; his words have since fallen into skepticism due to certain things. However there is most likely an improvement with the extra driver.

There's more than enough information on the JH13/16's floating around so I won't bother with any of those.
Quote:
My understanding is JH10 is very flat and neutral with very extended treble.  I once read the UE10 (also designed by Jerry Harvey) was a TF10 without a mid-bass tweak so more reference level sounding.  I am thinking the JH13 is the more refined upgrade to JH10.

Have not heard the JH7 but I think it is a mid-point between JH5 and JH16 but I could stand to be corrected.  I don't think anyone on Head-Fi owns JH7

Not really sure there is either. I sometimes still kick myself for not going with the JH7's since nobody else seems to have any useful impressions on them floating around Head-fi.

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 9
Good post.

Trust me....a refined improved JH5 for $650 would be amazing and well worth it.  A true poor man's JH16 at half the cost.

If my JH5's every blow out I would definitely consider JH7.

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
My JH5's got lost, which is a long story in of itself, but not necessarily relevant to the topic.

Anyway, I'm looking to get a newer better pair of Custom IEMs.  I loved the sound of the JH5s, though better is always, well, better.

I was mostly looking at the higher-end JH pairs, though I'm not too sure the differences in sound etc.  Most of what I was looking for was a bit better bass, I always look back at my X10s and wish I had that they had that amount of bass and extension.

I was thinking the 10X3, though for the extra $50 are the 11's worth it?  Anyone know how much of a difference sound signature wise they are?

I've done a bit of reading, and granted it's hard to find people that've had multiple customs, especially some that are so close, however if anyone has ideas or threads that I may have missed in regards to their sounds, please link me, or personal experience is probably the best!

Thanks tons in advance.

Edit: To add a bit to this, I listen to it out of my iPod Touch 4th Gen with a FiiO7 (9? I forget which is which) amp, mostly to progressive rock harder rock.  Don't know if that helps at all in regards to toning down opinions but yeah.

JH13/16, UM miracle. 

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 9
Seems like if you like the JH5 signature the logical upgrade would be the JH16.  If you're looking for something more analytical JH13, I've read somewhere that the JH11 has boomy bass.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 9
Just as a JH5 owner who will likely upgrade later on,

Have you called JHA and asked them? If i recall correctly, couple years ago when i got my JH5s i called and asked how the JH5s were designed to sound, and found the description to be in line with what i was looking for. I suppose if anyone would know which model would match what you're looking for, it would be the makers.

sorry if this is bringing up an irrelevant thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back