Upgrade to k701 or upgrade DAC?
Jun 13, 2006 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Cousin Patty

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been getting that itch for better sound quality lately... For a while I had my heart set on getting a Storm Digital nos DAC as an upgrade from my Aria's internal DAC... but now I'm sort of having second thoughts because of the price and also because of some of the issues that have been going on with the maker.
So... I was thinking maybe I should upgrade my headphones instead. I think maybe trying a different flavor of headphone would be fun. I really like my HD595's and SR225's...but they are both sort of specialized. I swap between the two of them alot depending on the recording. I was considering maybe trying the AKG k701. I listen to alot of metal mostly...but most of it contains alot of acoustic parts and keyboards and stuff. Would the k701 satisfy my craving? And how well does it fair with metal? Anybody have experience with the three headphones I mentioned? Do you think I should follow through with my plan on upgrading my DAC or get new phones?

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 17
I have all 3 plus a Headroom Microdac. I listen primarily and almost exlusively to the K701. Our music tastes are somewhat different but the K701 is wonderful
with acoustics.

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 17
I wouldn't bother upgrading the Aria DAC just yet, something like the Micro DAC might be better but it's a very incremental upgrade for a lot of cost. You would probably find more joy right now in changing headphones.

The K701 is somewhat of a mix between the 595 and 225 in its sound character but I think it's more refined and higher resolution than either. You might find one or the other redundant if you do get the 701.

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 17
K701 sounds great for acoustics. They are my all-rounders though. Use them for just about everything.

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 17
Garbage in garbage out.
icon10.gif

Go upgrade your source components first!

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
I've been getting that itch for better sound quality lately... For a while I had my heart set on getting a Storm Digital nos DAC as an upgrade from my Aria's internal DAC... but now I'm sort of having second thoughts because of the price and also because of some of the issues that have been going on with the maker.
So... I was thinking maybe I should upgrade my headphones instead. I think maybe trying a different flavor of headphone would be fun. I really like my HD595's and SR225's...but they are both sort of specialized. I swap between the two of them alot depending on the recording. I was considering maybe trying the AKG k701. I listen to alot of metal mostly...but most of it contains alot of acoustic parts and keyboards and stuff. Would the k701 satisfy my craving? And how well does it fair with metal? Anybody have experience with the three headphones I mentioned? Do you think I should follow through with my plan on upgrading my DAC or get new phones?

I have the same amp & source. I listen to tons of rock & metal. More specifically mostly progressive-metal/rock. I also listen to quite a bit of jazz/fusion. I like the HD650 best so far (check the other cans in my sig though I still need a proper amp for the K1000). I just got the 701 a few weeks ago. It is a good rock can, but I still prefer the 650 in my set up.

There is a certain fullness, weight, wall of sound with the 650 that I like. The bass can get muddy, but is really recording dependant. Good recordings sound great. Bad recordings sound bad. The 701 does expose bad recordings even more than the 650 I think. 650's low bass is far better than the 701. Low bass puts the hurt on the AKG in my set up. Heavy electric guitars sound better on the 650 to me.

The 701 has more detail in the highs. If you like highs more in your face you would most likely really dig that about the 701. However to my ears, though the highs (such as a cymbal crash) generally sound more distant with the 650, the weight of the sound is thicker & decays better imo. On the 701 it sounds like a thinner splash. Drums/percussions overall sound pretty damn good on the 701 though. Now maybe a nice tube amp would do nice with the 701? I heard the 701 through a Millet Hybrid fairly briefly with a different source, & mostly unfamiliar music (before I owned the 701) & it did have more impact, & fullness than with the Aria.

701 may have better instrument seperation too (still sorting that out). Part of that I think is the more forward highs, & different type of sound/headstage.

Vocals sound good with the 701 I think. At least with some music I tried better than the 650. Seems to be recording dependant though. The headstage is a mixed bag for me. While it is big, there is a huge blob in front. Wearing them more forward, and/or using crossfeed helps. I prefer not to use crossfeed, because it is at the expense of detail to my ears. Sometimes it sounds right, but most of the time it just doesn't. I rarely feel the need to use crossfedd with the 650.

Overall the 701, & the 650 are great cans. I prefer a lil darker, & thicker sound. Thus the 650 works for me. I have been thinking of upgrading my amp, & DAC as well. Could use more impact, & maybe a lil quicker attack, but 650/Aria is a nice lil combo to these ears.

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for the impressions Todd S. Guess Ill just have to pick something and see for myself.

Jun 13, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 17
Your welcome Cousin Patty. I am still evaluationg the 701, & wish I had a killer warm tube amp to try with them. Hopefully someone with such a combo that is into rock/metal will chime in here. I also have the itch to try the 650 balanced. My wallet is hurting from hanging around here once again.
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 17
I think you should try different headphones. Headphones make the biggest difference in both quality an sonic signature. Sure there's a chance you might not like the new signature, but bigger risks yield bigger jackpots. Upgrading the source is a more safe, but also more subtle quality gain, IME. If you're still new to this hobby you gotta take risks to find out what you like!

The K701 is on another level entirely than the sr225. While the k701 isn't particulary something I'd choose for rock, neither is the 225, and the 701 is way more detailed, smoother, and spacious sounding. Haven't heard the HD595, but the 701 is better than the HD555, and at least on the same level as a Zu-cable'd HD650 (and definitely exceeds that combo in some areas).

Jun 14, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 17
Why don't you try the K701 first? Buy them form Headroom for $300 and you can return them within 30 days of you find that you don't like them. Not a lot of risk besides postage fees, that's all.

Jun 14, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostlamb
Garbage in garbage out.
icon10.gif

Go upgrade your source components first!

That would be good if his source components were garbage, but they aren't. I know it's relative, but the Aria DAC is easily capable of resolving more than what his current headphones are capable of. A better headphone would definitely be a noticeable upgrade.

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 17
Thanks for the help guys...I'm still trying to decide what to do though...

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
That would be good if his source components were garbage, but they aren't. I know it's relative, but the Aria DAC is easily capable of resolving more than what his current headphones are capable of. A better headphone would definitely be a noticeable upgrade.

I was thinking the same thing. Lostlamb you feel the Aria DAC is garbage?

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 17
Ok I think I've decided that I'm going to upgrade my headphones and buy some more CD's as opposed to getting a DAC. Still not sure which headphones to get but at least I've sort of made a decision. Who knows, by the time summer's over I may still have enough money to get the DAC afterall. I'm still open for more suggestions as to which headphones to get in the sub-$400 dollar category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back