Upgrade to a Dynahi ?
Dec 5, 2005 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Juergen

100+ Head-Fier
I've got the upgrade bug again. I built a PPA with LaRocco's Dyno-Biased Buffer and modded my XCanV2. I really like both amps but as I say, I have the bug. I am thinking about building a Dynahi. After researching the process, I think I might buy a pair of amp modules from SFT and build a KG PSU (and avoid the transistor matching process and heatsink mounting issues). I will start off with an Alps blue velvet and upgrade later to a SA. This will mostly be used with my Senn 600's w/ Zu Mobius. Is this a worthwhile upgrade?

Dec 5, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 10
I think if you build with an overspec power supply its a good option. I preferred my HeadAmp to SFT's Dynahi PP but I'm told its implementation, not design. Until I hear a DynaMight I'll agree to that
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
I've got the upgrade bug again. I built a PPA with LaRocco's Dyno-Biased Buffer and modded my XCanV2. I really like both amps but as I say, I have the bug. I am thinking about building a Dynahi. After researching the process, I think I might buy a pair of amp modules from SFT and build a KG PSU (and avoid the transistor matching process and heatsink mounting issues). I will start off with an Alps blue velvet and upgrade later to a SA. This will mostly be used with my Senn 600's w/ Zu Mobius. Is this a worthwhile upgrade?

I use Dynahi, but I've never heard it with Sennheisers. I remember reading in a couple of places that Senn 6** are not a good match with Dynahi also.

I will also say that while my Dynahi is the right Thang for my extremely-difficult-to-drive-right AKG K340 and K1000, I don't believe Senns necessarily need the Hummer approach of Dynahi. For example, I've heard HD650/zu powered to complete happiness with SuperMacro v.3.

Dec 5, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
I don't believe Senns necessarily need the Hummer approach of Dynahi. For example, I've heard HD650/zu powered to complete happiness with SuperMacro v.3.

Nods. My Reference is set for unity gain, and I still never go past 12 o'clock on the volume. I'd like to see the Dynahi design adapted to more reasonable power levels, ~7V biased to feed reasonable loads ~120mA, but then I think I'd be staring at the Dynamic circuit
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 10
I was considering buying the plug-and-play module (PP?) but noticed that the power supply didn't look like Gilmore's design. He sells a "Dynahi Amp PCB". The one pictured on SFT's web page in the module certainly isn't. He does sell a heat sink kit and other parts for the Gilmore PSU so it probably is a Gilmore pcb. The PSU in the PP module is likely a lower cost alternative to keep the cost of the module down. I'll e-mail him and find out.

Dec 6, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
I remember reading in a couple of places that Senn 6** are not a good match with Dynahi also.

The Dynahi, like any properly designed amp (unfortunately, few) is transparent (close enough anyway). So I fail to see how it could "not match" any specific headphone, although some people may prefer the coloring of other amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back