upgrade time: Headphile DT770 or RS-2??
Aug 24, 2005 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shochu

Head-Fier
time for this newbie to upgrade..
biggrin.gif

i have been quite happy with my 2 month-old MS-1.
except that i sometimes find the vocal to be too forward in certain recordings.
i thought about the senns, but had concerns about them being (possibly) too laid back for me since i came from alessandro.

now, with a budget set in the $500 area,
do i go for a RS-2 or should i try out larry's DT-770 (wooded w/screens & recabled)? bloodwood looks mighty awesome!!!
is the blackmax cable upgrade worth the extra $50?

i listen mainly to vocal jazz.
at the moment using my 4G ipod w/ 320kbps AAC and a denon class-a integrated amp (which imo has quite a decent headphone out)

also, thinking a few months ahead, what would be a decent amp to paired with the beyer? would the little dot ii be a good pairing?

i'm trying to get my decision worked out in a couple of weeks.
any ideas?

thanks for any opinions you may offer.

Aug 25, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 8
I think this is a difficult question because both of the headphones you have listed are rather obscure and it would be rare to find someone that has listened to both. As an owner of the RS-2, I can say that I don't think they are worth the $500. You probably would have 90% of the sound with the MS2i, and it's a lot less expensive. If I were in your shoes, I'd look at something in that $300 range and spend the difference on a new amp or source.

Aug 25, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 8
I would say to go for the DT770 modded for sure. I have a stock one as well as a Grado SR325i and I easily prefer the dt770. I have heard that the millet hybrids have good synergy with the beyers as well as the DAC1.

Aug 25, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 8
I've owned both the RS1 and the maple screened darth woody 770s. I'd say, if you have to pick between them, it depends. The darth woodies are the bass head cans of choice until you get to the PS1s. They are great for energetic music with balls. The RS1s are the fuzzy cans of choice until you get to the PS1s. They are SO musical and sweet. The RS1s have sufficient bass for most people, and do a great job with female voices. The RS1s are good looking, and light. The Darth Woodies are beautiful, and comfortable, and closed. It's a tough choice.

I haven't heard the RS2s tho.

Aug 25, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 8
Also, the best non-portable amp for either that I've heard, under $400 is the emotion+, great synergy with the beyer and the rs1.

Aug 25, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 8
I haven't tried modified DT770, but I had a pair of unmodified DT770 and I currently own RS-2. I've tried nearly all Grado series and I liked RS-2 the best. It sounded direct, tight and fairly refined (second to RS1). RS-1 was more spacious and airy, but tad bit too distant to my liking for rock/vocal jazz.

Although it may be over your budget, but RS-2 and tube amp are just what you want in vocal jazz. May I would suggest try different amps with you current MS-1... (hint hint, try TUBE amp) for your kinda music before you decide on the phones. If you like what your hearing, RS-2 will give you more of organic/liquid sounding vocal yet maintain Grado house sound.

Aug 26, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 8
it's really difficult for me to get a decision simply because i live in indonesia and have no way of auditioning both cans (or any amps for that matter)
but thank you all for your opinions.

while i have no doubt that both were good, and i'd probably be happy with either one, i guess what will be a decision maker on my case is that which of the two has LESS forward sounding mids/vocal than my ol MS-1? because that's my reason for upgrading at the moment.

regarding tube amps, i have thought about that, and yes, quite a bit too.
biggrin.gif

as my budget is rather limited, i have been thinking about the chinese little dot 2. given its low price, i think it will be a bargain as a tester. i've never heard a tube before, and i don't really know whether or not i'll like the sound.

again, any inputs will be appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back