Upgrade time (Dac question)
Dec 6, 2008 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Abstract

New Head-Fier
Ok so i need some help clarifying a few things :)

I currently have:
Vista x64
Creative x-fi (Originally bought this for gaming and EAX- although i don't game a lot i do occasionally enjoy it)
Little Dot MK III with some M8161 tubes
Beyer DT880 '05 with fabulous white gel pads :p

My first thought is that i need a better DAC. I've heard a lot of good things about the Keces DA-151 do i understand correctly that if i buy this and use USB i could simply remove the Creative X-fi card all together?

But if i get the bigger model DA-131.1 i should be able to use it together with my x-fi and then i should still get the benefits of the eax when gaming as well as better sound when listening to music right?

I don't really posses the skills to solder things onto my x-fi card, and i'm afraid ill just muck it up.

How much should i spend on cables at the moment I'm using some pretty standard RCA cables to connect the amp to the x-fi (no not the complete cheap 2$ ones, but still i think they were like 20$ for 1m.)

Or should i save the money and upgrade to "next" level cans?

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstract /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I currently have:
Vista x64
Creative x-fi (Originally bought this for gaming and EAX- although i don't game a lot i do occasionally enjoy it)

My first thought is that i need a better DAC. I've heard a lot of good things about the Keces DA-151 do i understand correctly that if i buy this and use USB i could simply remove the Creative X-fi card all together?

Yes, but I'd keep the X-Fi for gaming in the picture.

Quote:

But if i get the bigger model DA-131.1 i should be able to use it together with my x-fi and then i should still get the benefits of the eax when gaming as well as better sound when listening to music right?

If your X-Fi passes CMSS through S/PDIF yes, you'll get the benefits. If it passes unprocessed signal, you get little to no benefit. It would now only depend on quality of USB receiver vs quality of S/PDIF receiver. Oh, make sure to go with coax, not optical.

Quote:

I don't really posses the skills to solder things onto my x-fi card, and i'm afraid ill just muck it up.

Who said anything about soldering
wink.gif

Quote:

How much should i spend on cables at the moment I'm using some pretty standard RCA cables to connect the amp to the x-fi (no not the complete cheap 2$ ones, but still i think they were like 20$ for 1m.)

Considering your system, go with good bang/buck cables, I wouldn't go over $50-$100 on ICs in this setup and that's on the "high-end". Look into DIY cables on the FS forums now, some are very nice.

Quote:

DT880 is pretty nice already, I'd say your source is what's holding you back.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

I'm using some pretty standard RCA cables to connect the amp to the x-fi (no not the complete cheap 2$ ones, but still i think they were like 20$ for 1m.)

Your cables will be fine. At this point you'd be better off sticking with them and putting the money elsewhere.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

I currently have:
Vista x64

For your application, if you can get digital out from your X-Fi, then I'd recommend DA-131.1. Since it have a slight edge over DA-151 in terms of audio performance. X-Fi in Game application have several edges over DA-151, since it does hardware effects, multiple voice mixing and more. (Which is why I also got a X-Fi Xtreme Music here...)

Please note that a lot of X-Fi does not allow easy access to SPDIF signal, and you will often need to add an adapter of some kind to get the the signal out. So check your card first, if it doesn't have a RCA or TOSLINK connection, then you will need to find an adapter suited for your card. (I think ebay usually have them)

As for DA-151, it is perfect for applications where you don't want to add a sound card, or want to move it from machine to machine that might not have a good digital output option. Then DA-151 would be the perfect choice.

Thanks

David

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the feedback i will go ahead and get the DA-131.1 together with a mini jack to rca adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back