Upgrade time! Components or Cans?
Nov 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Amputate

New Head-Fier
Ok so here's my current setup.
I'm using a Asus Xonar Phoebus with a AKG K550.

I've been thinking of picking up a Sennheiser HD 650 to use at the computer and keep the k550 for outdoor use (I listen a lot of music on the go so it's well worth keeping them).
The reason for this is that I've been noticing that at a certain volume sounds start to kind off blend together and the bass starts to fade if I don't pump it up in the EQ.

But now I'm wondering, should I even get different cans or is it a better idea to upgrade the computer hardware first?

Any feedback/suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Ok so here's my current setup.
I'm using a Asus Xonar Phoebus with a AKG K550.

I've been thinking of picking up a Sennheiser HD 650 to use at the computer and keep the k550 for outdoor use (I listen a lot of music on the go so it's well worth keeping them).
The reason for this is that I've been noticing that at a certain volume sounds start to kind off blend together and the bass starts to fade if I don't pump it up in the EQ.

But now I'm wondering, should I even get different cans or is it a better idea to upgrade the computer hardware first?

Any feedback/suggestion is greatly appreciated!

The Xonar Phoebus's headphone jack comes with an impedance of 10-Ohms and the K550 is only 32-Ohm, a less then perfect match.
My 40-Ohm ATH-A900X has the same problem (as your K550) plugged into my Yamaha receiver (high impedance).
A headphone jack output of 4-Ohms or less is preferred for 32-Ohm headphones, Lots of portable audio players and portable headphone amplifier come with a headphone output jack with less the 4-Ohms.
So using the K550 with your portable audio sounds great.
The 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD650 should work fine on the Xonar Phoebus.

On another note, how do you like the Xonar Phoebus, music? movies? gaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back