Upgrade Sony CD-3000 to???? iBasso D1 to ????
Aug 7, 2009 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Timber Man

New Head-Fier
I got a Sony CD-3000 when they first came out. Must be a least 15 years old.

A couple of years ago I got iBasso D1. Most music comes from my Apple Mac Book Pro to the iBasso via a Toslink.

Questions:

Is the Sony SA-5000 a good upgrade/replacement for the CD-3000?

Is a Stax 404 limited better than the Sony Sa-5000

Since most of my listening is stationary, next to Mac Book Pro.

What is a good upgrade for the iBasso D1 without breaking the budget?

Perhaps a headphone amp/Dac like the YuLong Dac Dah1, or perhaps a seperate Dac and headphone amp?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Timber Man

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 19
well, the sa5k is even more whining than the cd3k..is that what you're looking after? bass shy and ear shriveling trebles? or you want more bass and a less strident upper spectrum?

I don't think you'll get the same kind of soundstage from any other phone though, the cd3k is the SS godfather
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 19
Definitely DO NOT want winney and less bass.

What I was hoping for maybe more bass and even better sound stage.

Do you think I should get some new leather ear pads for the CE-3000 and call it a day?

thanks for input

TM

PS---------how about used and thing you all recommend?

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 19
well yeah, the cd3k has pretty weak bass, very bright trebles...and a fantastic SS
eek.gif

it's perfect for classical, but for anything else the lack of bass is darn annoying..

I dunno, I had a cd1k for 10 years(baby cd3k, same drivers/housing) and I miss its SS, but I love the bass on my DT770/600Ω. it's not overwhelming, it's very natural and the trebles are very transparent...and it isolates a lot more!

plus, its got genuine leather headband/ear pads. the cd1k/cd3k share the same crappy leatherette ear pads...that turn into zillion little black pieces after a half-year. that's so damn annoying
evil_smiley.gif

everything's made of compromises in this world
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 19
I love my CD3K. I briefly owned the SA5K and to my ears, although I liked it, it's not in the same league, and it's definitely not going to be an improvement in the bass or soundstage department. I can't think of many things that would improve on both the CD3K's bass and soundstage - lots of things have more bass, but the only things with more soundstage that I've heard are the K701 - from what I've read, the HD800 is also top notch in this regard (and may have more impactful bass than the CD3K?) but is a significant price jump from your current headphones.

If you're not too attached to the original CD3K pads, there are some decent more rubbery replacement pads that can be purchased off eBay - I bought some and they're not as nice as the pleather but they definitely feel like they'll be more durable.

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timber Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got an input to look at a ATH-w5000 and a JVC HD dx1000

Any comments?

the guy I sold my cd1k to also bought a dx1k...he loves it! but well, the SS is no match apparently...but he wanted more bass and less whining trebles, that's exactly what he got
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 19
Do yourself a favour,buy a new headband assembly for them[returns there fit to as new] and a set of earpads.
You will once again own a new pair of CD3000,and fall in love with them again.
I own a pair of SA5000 as well as the CD3000 and I love the sound,the last thing that I want to do is subject my ears to a lot of bass,owned a pair of Darth's for awhile,but the bass just becomes to much in the end.
On the right recordings the 5000's have a lot of tight controlled bass,and of course those fantastic highs that they are famous for,not to mention the speed and detail.
Do not forget that you are comparing closed and open phones,a very hard thing to do.
In all honesty the best thing to do is rejuvinate the 3000's,the cost is $100 for complete headband assembly and around $20 for the pads on ebay.
Well worth doing.

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 19
there's a hell of a gap between the boomy DT770/Pro bass and the inexistent cd3k bass.

finding a new headband assembly for the cd3k? this item has been EOL since forever
confused.gif

the $20 pads on ebay are Chinese copies, they really don't seem as soft as the stock ones.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #11 of 19
oh yeah, I saw that one..I remember now, $100 for a headband assembly, yikes!

still the cd3k doesn't output any audio <60Hz...great SS, but no low end bass.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 19
Considering you came from the D1, why don't you just let nature follow its due course and go with the logical upgrade - the iBasso D10?
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 19
Raymond, I am a novice in all these terms.

Could you explain to a slow minded man like me what you are saying.

Are you saying????????????

keep my D1 iBasso and use the Dac of the D1 to feed the amp of the D10?

OR

get rid of the d1 and buy a d10?

assume that the macbook pro will be my main program source.

I am truely confused.

TM

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 19
I really appreciate all the information. I guess the iBasso D10 is a good way to go. I was hoping that someone would say that a Bada or Doge 6210 with the D1 would be an improvement over the D1

It looks like a D10 is the recommended way to replace the D1.

NOW, another question:

I never high end inner ear headphone like a Shure 510.

How would that compare to the Sony Cd3000? Again I rarely use the Inner ear in a mobile way.

Again thanks to all for the inputs.

TM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back