Upgrade recommendations from Sony MDR-1R?
Jun 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

idkwho

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am looking for an open headphone with most accurate playback across the spectrum. It must have excellent sound clarity and sound stage. I've noticed from my experience with the MDR-1R is that the bass is not as low as I would like and it is not balanced/flat overall. I came across 3 headphones online: the AKG 701/702, Beyrdynamic DT990 and the HD650. My budget is around £200-£250 and I hope you can provide me with advice and recommendations based on your experience on these or other headphones. I listen to music such as pop, trance, dub step, female, electronic etc.

Jul 1, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 19
DT 880--probably the 250 Ohm version.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

and

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

The Q701 is also a good choice.  It has an especially large sound stage; more seperation of the musical voices; less slam.

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks for the recommendations KG Jag. I had a look at the links and it seems that from the table in terms of sound quality, the HD650 is higher than the DT880s. Also, I've noticed that the DT880 is semi-open - what difference would it have compared to the DT990s which are open cans? Lastly, I've read that the AKG have a very large soundstage to the extent that it is the most unnatural out of the three.  

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 19
  Thanks for the recommendations KG Jag. I had a look at the links and it seems that from the table in terms of sound quality, the HD650 is higher than the DT880s. Also, I've noticed that the DT880 is semi-open - what difference would it have compared to the DT990s which are open cans? Lastly, I've read that the AKG have a very large soundstage to the extent that it is the most unnatural out of the three.  

All open and (to a lesser degree) semi-open cans leak sound and generally do not isolate well.  Although I have heard the DT 990 many times at Head-Fi meets, I don't own one.  So I can't compare it directly with the DT 880.  The DT 990 is a fun can in term of its sound signature.  It emphases bass and treble and recesses mids.  This makes it different from the others, which are closer to neutral.

The 650, 701 and 880 are all on the same plane--either former flagships or directly descended from said flagship.  Picking between them comes down to which sound signature you prefer.  Don't worry too much about their relative rankings.

The 650 is warm (= has more than neutral mid bass) and has somewhjat veiled treble and great & classic Senn mids.  The HD 600 is a more neutral sibling of the 650.

The DT 880 is on the bright side of neutral.  It and the HD 600 are the most neutral of the cans we are discussing.

The Q701 has great (= very large) sound stage.  It is a personal favorite of mine when listening to movies.  Many love it for gaming.  As I have said, it pulls apart/separates the music voice of the tract to which you are listening.  Some people find this unnatural.  Others love the ability to track each of those voices.  Because of this sound signature, it has less slam than the others cans we are discussing.

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 19
I agree with the DT880 and Q701 recommendations. As far as AKG's, I think you are on the right track to also explore the K701/K702s. Add the K612 Pros and K712s into the mix. All have slightly different frequency response characteristics that might make one a better fit for your tastes than another. I have the K612s, which have a bit less treble emphasis than the Q701s and a slightly smaller soundstage that seems more natural to me. But, you might like the bigger Q701 soundstage better. If you decide against the DT880, I would suggest ordering two different AKG models and keep the one you like the best :)

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 19
If only considering these four headphones, I will go for K701, but I also recommend DT880, the sound is more natural than DT990. DT990 sounds like it's emphasizing both low and hi much more than the mid.  
So try both of K701(Q701) and DT880 then pick one. 

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 19
Thank you for all the suggestions! I think I will go for the DT880 because it is much more natural and faithful to the source right? Furthermore, after some reading of reviews, I have found that there is a design flaw in the headband of the AKG 701/702 where it has metal studs that hurt your head. Would you agree that the DT880s are better than the AKG 702s in terms of comfort?

As I am going to be using these cans on an Asus Essence STX, which Ohmic version would I go for if I pick the DT880s? 250 Ohm or 600 Ohms? I do not want to hear any hissing or sibilance etc

Many thanks 

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 19
First, I would imagine you'll probably get more sibilance with the DT880s over your current headphones because they are very revealing, resolving headphones. It's not the headphones fault; it's the recordings.

The DT880 Pro 250 ohm are the best price/performance value of the DT880 variations.

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 19
  Thank you for all the suggestions! I think I will go for the DT880 because it is much more natural and faithful to the source right? Furthermore, after some reading of reviews, I have found that there is a design flaw in the headband of the AKG 701/702 where it has metal studs that hurt your head. Would you agree that the DT880s are better than the AKG 702s in terms of comfort?

As I am going to be using these cans on an Asus Essence STX, which Ohmic version would I go for if I pick the DT880s? 250 Ohm or 600 Ohms? I do not want to hear any hissing or sibilance etc

Many thanks 

The only significant comfort issues that I know that have been reported about the AKG's have do do with the bumps on the headband of some versions/revisions of these cans.  The 880's are generally viewed as comfortable, although those with large-ish ears may find that their earcups are too small and/or not deep enough.  Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Everyone has a different head size and shape, as well as different sensitivities and levels of sensitivity.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

The 880 is a bright headphone.  So you should try it yourself to determine whether or not you find that is sibilant for you.  Some have had the same complaint about the AKG's.  If you get hissing from either of these cans, the problem originates upline from the cans, which are merely reporting it to you.

If you can pick-up the DT 880 600 Ohm for about $250, get it--provided that you have the equipment to drive it properly.  It is true that on most days the 250 Ohm version offers the best bang for the buck.  For more see:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 19
Thank you for all your help so far. I've just checked Amazon and there seems to be two different versions which both have a substantial difference in price. 

The PRO 250 Ohms is £177.82

The Premium 250 Ohms is £289.99 

Why is there such a massive £100 difference in price between these two versions and more importantly is it really worth it?

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #15 of 19
  Thank you for all your help so far. I've just checked Amazon and there seems to be two different versions which both have a substantial difference in price. 

The PRO 250 Ohms is £177.82

The Premium 250 Ohms is £289.99 

Why is there such a massive £100 difference in price between these two versions and more importantly is it really worth it?

The 600 Ohm version can be had from Amazon Prime here for $276, compared to $205 for the 250 Ohm Pro version and $292 for the 250 Ohm Premium livery.

The link I provided above should help you access the relative value to you of the 250 vs. 600 Ohm versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back