Upgrade path, what to look for
Sep 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lastsd

Head-Fier
Hi, been reading the forum for quite a while but first post.

I recently built a new desktop and got interested in audio part of it.
I am new to whole audio aspect. Before the new computer, I have used:

* $10 sony IE
* sony N15 noise cancelling (for traveling)
* Creative Audio sound blaster silencer (USB) game headset

Basically nothing much. So I wanted to start with basic.
My planned set up was
Xonar DG/DGX($25 with MIR) + JVC HA-RX700 ($52)
* note these are Canadian price(a lot of products are much more expansive than U.S.)

But I found Pioneer SE-MJ551(updated version of MJ5) on clearance and got it.
It used to be $100 up here but I see that in US it is going around $45.
So far it is better than any headphone I own, although sometimes it is a bit uncomfortable after long use(over 2 hours). Haven't "burn" the headphone yet, not sure if I actually will.

I read quite a bit of guides but I didn't see my model on any of them.
So my question is, what should be my upgrade plan?
I am not planning to buy another set right now but want to know which items I should look out for.

Purpose: gaming 70%, music 30%
* but I don't mine having 2 separate headphone for music and gaming. I could use Pioneer 551 for one of the purpose and get another one for the other purpose. 

Budget: probably less than $150. Most likely looking for a good sale since I don't need it right now.

Style: I would like a over ear since I have already got on-ear (551), in ear (sony N15)

Type: open/close doesn't matter much to me.

Portable: doesn't have to be very portable

1. How does Pionner se-mj551 compare to head phones like JVC HA-RX700($50), Samson SR850($100), Grago 60($100)? (would it be a significant upgrade?)
2. If someone has time and can show me something like this
My current head set -> next set of items -> another set of items -> etc.
That would be great.

I still have to get a sound card. Probably will get Xonar DG/DGX.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. how do I change the my profile pic? I can't seem to find upload button on my profile page

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 4
Any one ? :)

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 4
lastsd,
The problem is that there is not really a lot of room in the budget you have set. If your budget is $150 dollars, and you expect to get 2 cans with that you are going to be stuck with a $50 set, and a $100 set, both of which may not be all that great. I think the consensus here would be to spend it all in one go and get one set of $150 cans which you love.
If you can wait, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are coming. I would start researching cans that cost $200-$250 and find a handful you would be happy with, and hope one of those go on sale at that time.
Also, are you willing to try used?

If you have to have 2 new sets, you are going to be looking at something like
jvc ha rx900 -> sennheiser hd 280
or 
jvc ha rx 700 -> audio technica ath m50

But, if you can wait and score a good deal on Cyber Monday you could end up with a new AKG 702, who knows?

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Heya,

I would suggest you get something used from the for-sale forum, and have it shipped to you as a gift in Canada. You'll get way more headphone for your money that way. The mark up on electronics in Canada is ridiculous. I used to live there, so I feel your pain. Shipping can be a bear too, but if marked as a gift with a low declared value, it's not bad. I would use that $150 to get something really nice that way.

Alternatively, Brainwavz HM5 (MP4nation.net) will be a great deal for you; free shipping world wide. In your budget.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back