Upgrade path from Hugo2? Endgame transportable system
Jul 2, 2020 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ZGojira

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to upgrade from a Hugo2.

I sold my Hugo2 a while back due to me ultimately not being fully satisfied with the sound compared to my desktop system.

I currently have two other portable DAC/Amps, XDuoo XD-05 (With v5i), and an iFi iDSD Micro BL.
There is no denying that the Hugo2 is much better than these two DAC/amps, however, because I am not going to be fully satisfied with the sound of all three anyway, there's no real reason to hold on to the Hugo2 and not free up some funds.

Now that I am going to be using a transportable setup more, I am looking for something better than the Hugo2.
If there's nothing out there, I'm not totally against just buying the Hugo2 again.

For reference, the main IEMs I will using with it is a UE18+Pro, and the transport will be either a Hiby R3 or a iBasso X90j.

I am looking for a portable DAC/Amp or separates as a stack, but ideally not a DAP.
I am also open to small, transportable (ideally USB powered) desktop stacks.

Requirements: USB input, Digital coax input, USB charging (for battery powered units).
Nice to haves: Line output, a screen
Budget: up to 4k

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 11
Hugo2 is up there when it comes to portable DAC/Amp setups...

I was thingking a LH Labs Go2Pro SE but not only its rare its support is non existent.

IDK a A&K SP2000, Luxury and Precision LP6/LP6Ti? As you said buying a Hugo2 once again. Or why not wait for a while..

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 11
I guess I'm truly out of options than...:sweat:

Maybe I could add an amp to the Hugo2 :thinking:

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 11
Amp for your IEMs? They don't need much unless you go for larger cans. What I did though is attach a usb reclocker/reviver in between my source. It upped the SQ a bit.

Wp2RL8Nl.jpg

Red is my DAC/Amp, Black is my USB Reclock/Revive unit.

Jul 5, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 11
Battery powered USB re-clocker...did not know it existed :thumbsup:

Have you tried other re-lockers? How does it compare to bigger units?

Edit: Can't seem to find one for sale :thinking:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 11
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 11
I don't think any other portable DAC/amp is remotely close to the technical performance of the Hugo 2.

Jul 5, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Battery powered USB re-clocker...did not know it existed :thumbsup:

Have you tried other re-lockers? How does it compare to bigger units?

Edit: Can't seem to find one for sale :thinking:

Amping the Hugo 2 would either warm its signature or brighten it more as well as add more soundstage or reduce it. However, you'll always lose some transparency with an amp out of Hugo 2. I'd try some pure portable digital transport (that bypasses any Android SRC stuff) first rather than a smartphone with a USB reclocker in between.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 11
Most of today's android DAP's built in players bypasses ASL already. If not, and if it can access Google Play or sideload an app, that would be an easy fix using the right software (UAPP, Neutron MP, Onkyo HF, HibyMusic).

For sometime now, we don't need even a dedicated "pure digital transport". Your android smartphone, using the above apps will do the job and even more. Some for free (HibyMusic). Been using this method for about 7 years now.

There is a thread dedicated for it since 2012: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/android-phones-and-usb-dacs.595071/

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 11
Thank you everyone for the interesting comments :)

So if I'm summarizing the above correctly:
1) Hugo2 is still the best "portable" DAC/Amp
2) Adding an amp to the Hugo2 won't make it any better
3) Use USB from transport to DAC, and maybe add a USB cleaner in between

Users who are viewing this thread

Back