Upgrade path for HD6xx?
Jun 18, 2020 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hikarishyun

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I am currently using Fiio K5 Pro as my amp/dac to power my HD6xx. However, I felt it is slightly underpowered for my HD6xx as I would love more power. The reason lacking power is I set the preamp as -10 to reduce clipping based on the oratory1990's profile. Is there any recommendations to upgrade from here?

I am thinking to wait for the Topping L30 as Amp and E30 as DAC. Fiio K7 might be another good choice too. Btw, my budget is preferably as cheap as possible, around 300-400 dollar for both amp and dac. :L3000:

Jun 18, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 10
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 10
I don't know the amp @PurpleAngel mentioned but OTL amps are the cat's meow for Sennheiser 600/650/6XX cans. You will definitely benefit from more power than your K5 can deliver.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 10
If you don't want to jump on the tube train, what about a little Schiit Asgard 3?
As @PurpleAngel mentioned before, keep your K5 Pro as a dac and you'll be fine, i think.

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 10
If you don't want to jump on the tube train, what about a little Schiit Asgard 3?
As @PurpleAngel mentioned before, keep your K5 Pro as a dac and you'll be fine, i think.
The solid state Schiit Asgard 3 is what I would have listed for a third choice, after the tubes.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 10
I am wondering can I use K5 pro as dac and grab an additional SMSL SP200 as amp? Is it good?
The SMSL SP200 can use the K5 Pro as a DAC.
But I suggest checking out Massdrop and Monoprice, for a headphone amplifier.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 10
The SMSL SP200 can use the K5 Pro as a DAC.
But I suggest checking out Massdrop and Monoprice, for a headphone amplifier.

For Massdrop, they did not deliver to my country (Malaysia). I saw the review and understand why it's so popular for value for money.
For Monoprice, their THX amp+dac price is way out of my budget and haven't include shipping and tax.
That's why my option is only the SMSL THX amp :slight_frown:

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 10
For Massdrop, they did not deliver to my country (Malaysia). I saw the review and understand why it's so popular for value for money.
For Monoprice, their THX amp+dac price is way out of my budget and haven't include shipping and tax.
Looks promising.
This amp could to the job easily. :)
The only thing is how the synergy will be with the HD6xx.

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 10
Your in Malaysia? Guess you should buy something shipped from China, found that to usually be the best price for electronics stuff (that's made in China).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back