upgrade path advice needed
Apr 11, 2007 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pkshiu

100+ Head-Fier
After following Head-Fi for awhile, I "upgraded" to a pair of E2C. Having used that for a few months, and realized what potential is out there for good sound I am ready for the next step. However I am unsure as to what to do first. I need some help to, well, spend my hard earn $$....:

source: apple lossless CD collection, jazz, rock, vocal classical, via
iMac with optical and USB out, and
IBM thinkpad with USB out
to E2C currently

so, things that I want to do are:
1) upgrade to E500 because I like the Shure's fit somehow
2) headphone amp
3) external DAC
or 2+3 in the form of a amp with built in DAC

Question is in what order should I attack these to acheive best bang/sound-for-the-buck?

And recommendation for the amp/dac? Of course I want to keep the cost down as much as I can to begin, I can always upgrade later.

Thanks for your help in advance!
P.K.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 7
Best bet is to get new headphones. Do you have to get IEMs or are full size cans ok?

You might want to get a pair of Senn HD580/595s and hold off getting an amp or a dac unless you really feel like you need it

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 7
1 first, then 3, then 2. odds are the laptops have crap analog output so you'll want to upgrade that asap. if you have no qualms about the shure sound then upgrading to the e500 is definitely the way to go; then i'd get a headroom total bithead, which would greatly improve sound quality; if you ever feel the urge to upgrade again, there's the headroom microstack, and the stello da100 + hp100. all are laptop friendly with usb input.

have fun dude; the e500s kick the e2c's butt so badly it ain't funny!

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best bet is to get new headphones. Do you have to get IEMs or are full size cans ok?

You might want to get a pair of Senn HD580/595s and hold off getting an amp or a dac unless you really feel like you need it

Good point about the Senn's. I am using IEM because it is less distracting visually in the office, and sometimes I use it while walking to work. But the HD580 is probably a better sound-for-the-buck compare to the E500? Since I am paying a slight premium for the IEMs? Of course, I can get both and use one at home and one at work.... Hmm...

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 7
A couple of things first:

1) Budget
2) Size requirements
3) Portability

Since you're a desktop and a laptop, I'm guessing it'll be a desktop unit that can be externally powered, this helps quite a bit with options.

Generally, unless you NEED to have IEMs, cans usually offer a better bang/buck in terms of sound quality.

For an office unit, I'd say an all-in-one solution is very nice, I personally have and love the HPDAC (USB DAC + PINT-like headphone amp in one), perhaps something like the BitHead might be nice.

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Generally, unless you NEED to have IEMs, cans usually offer a better bang/buck in terms of sound quality.

For an office unit, I'd say an all-in-one solution is very nice, I personally have and love the HPDAC (USB DAC + PINT-like headphone amp in one), perhaps something like the BitHead might be nice.

That's what I though regarding IEMs vs cans. However for office use open cans are probably not acceptable (have not tried), and choices for closed ones are more limited?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back