upgrade of my stax srx mark 3
Sep 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

wppk

100+ Head-Fier
hello I am french ( so sorry for the possible mistakes in my english.

I own several stax, and I find the srx Mark 3 is really the best for its beautiful sound and clarity in the medium / high frequencies. But as You may know, this earphone is lacking a bit of bass.
as a recording/sound engineer, and professional sound producer, I have always been looking, like many of you, for ideal listening conditions, espacially, for myslef, for monitoring purposes.
for loudspeakers, I have found what I call a perfect combination with a pair of tannoy Arden and a pair of magnepan mga, working together with two different amplifiers, a marantz pm 700 for the magnepan, and a Yamaha RX v 2090 for the Tannoy.
this makes a reaaly wonderful balance, that gives a very flat response curve and allows me to control recordings in an ideal way. I also produce digital 5.1 sound with a JBL radiance serie R123 for the center, and two Cabasse nautilus for the rear left and right loudspeakers, it works as in my dreams.

but As a voice talent, for film dubbing, radio, voice over ... I need to have a very good heaphone system to fit this perfectly harmonious system.
I tried quite a good deal of them, AKG, Sony mdr cd 1700 ( very good at bass but missing some clarity in the highest frequencies) stax sr 40, (was flat compared to the sony), other stax, but I was not completely satisfied.
the srx 3 I bought on ebay was wondeful, but a bit unbalanced, and, as everybody knows, lacking bass.

I wrote to a society that repairs stax headphones, and they told me that my stax needed a sound element that couldn't be found anymore.

so, I projected to buy another one on ebay, to change the defective part. But before, I disassembled the earphone, put a bit of electric contact mending fluid, and lightly touched the cable connector. It was enough to mend the problem !

also, as I am a speaker, I am most of the time just in front of my Neuman microphone, and it makes a problem : the sound that goes out from the stax earphones is strong enough, even with a low volume, to go back through the mike and then give an artifact that is oubviously not professional and of course disturbing. So, I couldn't use it while recording my voice, and had to go back to the sony, which problem was that it clicked while moving just a little bit while speaking, the plastic parts made parasite noises that I had to clean from my recordings.

so I thought of a solution : My little boy had several light moss balls for playing, I cut one in two parts, and after a little adaptation, it fitted the back of the earphones, stopped the sound from joining the mike, and gave perfect bass to the system !
I was puzzled because, before sticking the half balls, I tried to pou my hands on top of the earphones while listening, and it was on the contrary a new loss in bass, and odd sound.
but as the moss lets the air pass, it is not like closing the headhones ans applying a destructive effect to the sound.

As the stax was not confortable enough for long recording sessions, Ia found earpads which were not stax ones, much thicker, and put them instead. it doen't affet the sound in any way, but it is much more comfortable !

So, this makes everything perfect, and I hope it will help you to improve your srx mark 3 if you have one

Cordially

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wppk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so I thought of a solution : My little boy had several light moss balls for playing, I cut one in two parts, and after a little adaptation, it fitted the back of the earphones, stopped the sound from joining the mike, and gave perfect bass to the system !
I was puzzled because, before sticking the half balls, I tried to pou my hands on top of the earphones while listening, and it was on the contrary a new loss in bass, and odd sound.
but as the moss lets the air pass, it is not like closing the headhones ans applying a destructive effect to the sound.

As the stax was not confortable enough for long recording sessions, Ia found earpads which were not stax ones, much thicker, and put them instead. it doen't affet the sound in any way, but it is much more comfortable !

So, this makes everything perfect, and I hope it will help you to improve your srx mark 3 if you have one

Cordially

Sounds like the "tweak of the year." Many of us like the SRX3 but the bass is an issue.

But what is a "Moss ball" It doesn't sound like anything we have here but maybe it is just called something different. Could we have a photo please?

Don't worry about the language. Your English is fine. Few people in the USA can manage a foreign language and I am envious of people who can communicate in more than one language.

Sep 9, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what is a "Moss ball" It doesn't sound like anything we have here but maybe it is just called something different. Could we have a photo please?

Something like this maybe?

5960.jpg

A foam ball used by children.

Sep 9, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 32
Edit: I was completely wrong. But maybe he really means a moss ball? They sorta look like spheres of green felt.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 32
Ludo: This mossball idea could have application to certain non-electrostatics aussi, if you apprend my drift.

My guess is that the backwave is being further delayed by passing through the thick moss or foam or whatever it is, but that the material is undense enough to leave the diaphragm unmolested by reflections or cavity resonances. If you have a chance to try this, let us know.

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 32
hello
happy to read you
I cannot think of another word than moss ball. seems a bit like the photo which was posted. but it is, I think, smoother, mushier. I will take photos tomorrow. for me, it is 55 past midnight in france, and I am a bit sleepy.
the ball must not be a hard moss ball, it has to change volume in the hand very easily.
sorry pals, I can't let you hear the result, of course, but it changes on the right way.
If you wish, I can sell you these balls for 32,500 dollars each, that will make my fortune !
lol
o2smile.gif

seriously, you can find them with no problem I guess, except if it is forbidden in the states, but I don't think these can be dangerous as long as you don't smoke them.
anyway, anybody can make the test and tell if my ears heard good.
thank you for your words in french, and thank you for your accepting my english. In fact, I am a voice over in french and english too, but native from france.

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 32
I could if i knew what are mods. probably a familiar word for the earphones or moss ball. anyway, I will do it tomorrow, I don't have the camera ready and it is very late here.
tell me what exactly are mods if I am wrong

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ludo: This mossball idea could have application to certain non-electrostatics aussi, if you apprend my drift.

My guess is that the backwave is being further delayed by passing through the thick moss or foam or whatever it is, but that the material is undense enough to leave the diaphragm unmolested by reflections or cavity resonances. If you have a chance to try this, let us know.

Uhm, HF notifications skipped your reply. I thought about trying to replicate this mod on "certain non-electrostatics", but I'm still unsure where the foam goes, and if it's a disk or a dome section. I will try to find a foam ball, they are pretty common around here, what with us being three times Football (Soccer for you) World Champions, etc. kids have to start really young kicking balls (double meaning intended)
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wppk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could if i knew what are mods. probably a familiar word for the earphones or moss ball. anyway, I will do it tomorrow, I don't have the camera ready and it is very late here.
tell me what exactly are mods if I am wrong

Oh sorry, the mod(ification)s you made to the phones, specifically the size and shape of the piece you cut from the moss ball, and where you applied it.

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 32
the half ball has to be shortened a bit in thickness or the headphone suspension will not move freely.
it is to be placed on the outside of the earphone, opposite to where you are listening. I had to glue them so that they don't fall, and I painted them black so to fit the color of the stax.

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #13 of 32
yeah, I got it finally for the "mods" before I read you !
good guesser, for a frenchie, no ?

I will measure the sizes if you like. anyway, adding the half balls will not let the headphone suspension move as before, but enough for you not to feel the change. I cut the ball with a long, very well sharpened knife, and after, I had to remove about one centimeter on each half ball for them no to bother the move of the suspension.

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #14 of 32
wppk: Could you please describe the moss balls' physical construction (fibrous, porous, etc.)?

Sorry for all the what may seem like "weird" questions, but we're really into this kinda stuff.
tongue.gif
Pictures would help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #15 of 32
Yes, good guessing! We have, as you will see, made our own slang and abbreviations that make no sense to people who don't know us yet.

Now that you know what mods are, you can post some photos of your Stax mod, non? Please? We must see this. Does it make you think of Mickey Mouse?

[whispers] (I think he must be asleep by now. We'll catch up with him on the other side of the terminator, eh?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back