Upgrade needed, what should I buy next? $1000
Oct 11, 2009 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Hanus

Head-Fier
Hello, I want to upgrade my current low-fi sound system to something mif-fi'ish and I wanna use about $1000 on it

My current setup is simply a E-mu 0404 usb.
I want to upgrade my headphones and buy a new amp (so this is technically a two thread question)

What kind of combo would you recommend?
I am pretty tempted to buy a Dt880 600Ohm, since I really love the sound of my DT770 pro 600ohm edt, but its just too dark and not detailed enough for me (wich Ive heard the 880 is suppose to be)
I was also looking at the Little Dot MKIV SE
But Im open for new suggestions

What I prefer:
chill acoustic rock/jazz
Power, black, heavy metal
Electronica

And I wanna get the best "bang for the buck"

thanks

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 24
You can pick up a Stax 3000 system for that kind of money that would give any dynamic combination at any price point a run for its money.

If you're willing to search and research a bit and buy used, you can do even better with vintage pieces from the Stax lineup.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 24
FWIW, I'm listened to a balanced Stax setup out of my 0404 USB right now, and it's plenty up to the task. There is zero need to get a new DAC for your price range.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 24
I recommend you get an amp before you do anything.

wait, DT770 Pro/600ohm, that exists?
I thought the DT770 Pro was available only in 80 ohms.

In any case..., your EMU 0404 is definitely a capable source, but there is no way you are amping a set of cans with 600ohms effectively.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 24
I want to utilize the DAC in my emu 0404 if it is recommended by people here..

I'm open to try stax, but I would rather not to be honest.. its just me being vain, but stax just does not appeal to me, (imo) the looks are wrong and I cannot switch between different headphones if I choose to go stax, and I kinda want to be able to exchange headphones without re-buying an amp every time

and nullstring, no it was a type-o.. my DT770 is not Pro.. I confused them with my 32ohm PROs

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 24
but, yeah, I would hold off on buying new headphones until after you get an amp, and find out what your DT770/600's are capable of.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 24
Unless you are set on a full-size rig, I'd say forget it and get JH13s, as the sound quality will best any rig I've heard in that price range. I was totally a full-size headphone person, with portable headphones and amps using maybe 5% of my listening time, and I had no use or affection for iems. Now, my home rigs, and I have some excellent ones (see profile), are not seeing much use at all. I can listen to the JH13s for hours in complete comfort, and they sound excellent without an amp, and even better with one.

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 24
Hrmpf, The idea of only owning a pair of JH13s isnt that tempting to be honest, especially since my previous custom molds only fit my ear for like 4 months before they started leaking way too much noise and started to hurt..

so I def want to go for an amp and a pair of headphones

what about beyerdynamic dt880 and a WooAudio 6 amp? that could be close to my price level

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 24
I think RS1 or RS2 will fit your acoustic and rock needs, but not sure about electronica, cos of limited sounstage/space they have. Its quite difficult to find one headphone only to cover all genres, so, start from your top preferences, imo.

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #11 of 24
Well, in that case id prefer headphones reserved for calm rock and jazz.. since thats what I normally listen to
and I know grado is the undisputed king of rock, but what about jazz?

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 24
Why just one pair of headphones? I'd go with one of the quality solid state amps, like the Gilmore Lite, M^3, CK2III, EC/SS, or maybe the PreSonus Central Station. Pair one of those with a Sennheiser HD-600 and a Beyerdynamic DT880 and you'd cover a lot of genres and mix up your listening. You might be able to work a Grado SR-60i in there, too.

Also, buy used whenever possible. You'll save a lot of money.

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 24
Uncle Erik's suggestion is a good one - having a couple of different sound flavors is always usefulif it's realistic given your budget (which I think it is). The HD600 and DT880 are both good choices for the music you like, although I might swap one of them fr something with a reputation of being a little faster (like an SA5000) for your electronica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back