upgrade my iem or should i just buy an amp?
Aug 12, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 23
What kind of source do you have? If you are running off a crappy mp3 player, I would say upgrade to an iPod Touch 2G. It is a very good sounding source, and has a pretty decent DAC and Amp built into it. If you are already running off a quality source, go for an IEM upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cant go wrong with buying a Fiio E5. I noticed a difference for $20 bucks and it was way worth it. But anything more expensive (few hundred bucks) I would get new IEM's

Yeah you can go wrong with the E5. The E5 is not meant for IEMs, it is meant to provide the power for headphones which require it to work. The E5 will actually degrade the sound quality of a decent source, such as an iPod Touch 2G.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Correct me if I'm wrong but impedance isn't everything. You have to take into account sensitivity as well.

you arent wrong, sure they can be driven p[retty wel without a amp, but I found them to improve with one considerable (pico) but yeah I dont know what is being disagreed with, I recommended he still get new IEMs
confused.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #19 of 23
I'll also go with the consensus, upgrade your IEMs. The benefits provided by upgraded amping and cables are more noticeable and worthwhile with higher end equipment, and when you do that with lower end equipment you will always be limited by your IEMs which are the worst bottleneck in the line.
In short, always upgrade your worst bottleneck first when possible, and in this case that is your IEMs.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #20 of 23
ok,so it seems upgrading the iem is better,my source is 120g ipod classic,so the amp and cables really matters?because i'm thinking of upgrading to ie8,and knowing this iem is bassy enough,does it still need amp?

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.F.O.A /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because i'm thinking of upgrading to ie8,and knowing this iem is bassy enough,does it still need amp?

No

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you arent wrong, sure they can be driven p[retty wel without a amp, but I found them to improve with one considerable (pico) but yeah I dont know what is being disagreed with, I recommended he still get new IEMs
confused.gif

Haha well I don't think I was disagreeing with anyone, I was just pointing out other factors to consider.

However I DO agree that OP should get new IEMs, definitely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back