upgrade my iem or should i just buy an amp?
Aug 11, 2009 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

T.F.O.A

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,i've been wondering should i just upgrade my westone um2,i've been using it over a year now and happy with how it sounds,and now thinking of upgrading my iem,but after thinking about it with the same budget $400 i can either upgrade my iem(choices are westone 3 or ie8) or i can just buy an amp (RSA p-51 mustang or pico),let me know what you guys think,thanks
beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 23
The portable amp is often a mistake unless it is nearing the last step of your process (along with cables). Upgrading will always yield the greatest improvement unless you are already in the top-range (be it in custom- or universal-fit).

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 23
I think often peoples who don't know cable itself makes huge improvement with amplifiers help and if somebody want full body sound with great details out of there portable rig. They should buy Cryo cable instead of Silver because Cryo gives full body sound and Silver only shows little improvement in details without powerfull big sound as Cryo does. So to me it's better to buy AMPs like XM5 and ALO jumbo Cryo or Sarn Ind 6 Special then you will get huge improvement over IEMs use with out AMPs. BTW my guess is you are using UM2 with ipod and if not then please describe the source.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 23
I respectfully beg to differ. IMO, cables won't "improve" the sound. They will just allow you to maximise the potential of your source+amp+phones. So instead of having a bad cable that degrades the signal a lot, you have a good cable that degrades the signal significantly less

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 23
upgrade the iems. you're probably not going to hear much of an improvement from your amp or cables for that matter, since um2 is nowhere near the point where those two components actually matter.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 23
@ZARIM yes,i'm using um2 with ipod,@insomniax sorry i didn't really understand the last part ,um2 is nowhere near the points where cables or amp matters,what's that mean?

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 23
errm actually the UM2 improve significantly with an amp as far as IEMs go, they show improvement more than most. all the same; if you like the sound of them, I would recommend UM3X over an amp and also over W3 or IE8

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 23
I can't possible see how the 21ohm(?) UM2 could possible benefit at all from an amp. It can't get more efficient.

UM3X is about a 3-fold improvement in SQ over UM2.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 23
Actually i paired Klipsch Custom 3 with 160Gb classic and it was great without AMPs but after i bought Tomahawk and ALO 22AWG dock cable. It was huge improvement now had warm, powerful, bigger soundstage(out of head and real sense of) with lots of details. The music was so engaging and enjoyable, after i did side by side comparison with cotton dock n au/ag dock and i find silver just shows little more details in highs and Cryo improve everything include bass, midrange and give real sense of soundstage. BTW i also compared iPod Classic line out sound quality with 5.5G iMod ipod and i find it was so close. Quote:

Originally Posted by T.F.O.A /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ZARIM yes,i'm using um2 with ipod,@insomniax sorry i didn't really understand the last part ,um2 is nowhere near the points where cables or amp matters,what's that mean?

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Correct me if I'm wrong but impedance isn't everything. You have to take into account sensitivity as well.

True, and UM2 are most efficient IEM I have ever owned.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
errm actually the UM2 improve significantly with an amp as far as IEMs go, they show improvement more than most.

I disagree, having sampled the UM2 with and without a Tomahawk I honestly think that a current flagship would be a better investment unless you really dig the UM2 sound (I felt the unamped 10pro was technically superior to the amped UM2 during the time, but the source was "only" the line-out of an iPod). Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all the same; if you like the sound of them, I would recommend UM3X over an amp and also over W3 or IE8

Probably the case.

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 23
Cant go wrong with buying a Fiio E5. I noticed a difference for $20 bucks and it was way worth it. But anything more expensive (few hundred bucks) I would get new IEM's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back