Upgrade ideas for DacMagic 100 => Lyr => HD 650
Nov 18, 2014 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sete

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

I've read A LOT in here and elsewhere and, besides being a bit overwhelmed, I'm starting to develop a case of audiophilia nervosa.

First I must say I'm not at all unhappy with the way my system sounds. I am by no means an audiophile and all the terminology (both technical and descriptive) used around these parts leaves me a bit flummoxed. But still, I would like to explore some possible upgrades.

I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I'm not making the decision based on cost alone. I'd like to know basically what of these upgrades would make the biggest difference in what I hear.

The only premise is that I don't want to get a new headphone (for now). Here's what I've considered. Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

I listen mostly to Flacs and recently Tidal, with a few Hi-res here and there. As for styles of music, I like pretty much everything apart from classic. Let's say the emphasis is on electronic music, indie rock, jazz (mostly female singers) and some acoustic stuff (flamenco guitar, Brazilian).

. A new DAC - I've looked into the Bitfrost. I like the company and the honesty of the founder, Jason, and have read most of his saga. Apparently the DACs are not bad either (and I really like my Lyr). Would this be a big step up from the DacMagic 100? Any other DAC that I'm missing?

. New tubes - It seems that the Amperex Orange Globes would be a good choice. Thoughts?

. An integrated DAC/amp - I'd have to sell my current setup, but maybe that could be the ticket. The reviews of the Oppo HA-1 seem very favorable. And it takes less desk space (which would be good). 

. New headphone cables - Seems the most esoteric option, and can get really expensive. I'm not really considering this, but I'd just thought I'd put it in here, maybe someone has an opinion.

I guess this is it. Hopefully someone will show me the light.

wink_face.gif

Cheers,

S

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 3
It's hard to say for sure but I think certain amplifier upgrades will make the most noticeable difference.  Not sure how well the HA-1 pairs with the HD 650 though.  If you still want a tube amp, you could look at the La Figaro 339C or Woo Audio WA2, which are popular choices for high impedance headphones like the HD 650. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back