Upgrade Help (moving on from Klipsch Promedia)
Apr 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Gunblade

New Head-Fier
I will try to keep this simple. I have tried figuring this out on my own by browsing other threads but I can't seem to do it. There isn't some over all guide for moving on from Multimedia speakers
frown.gif
. So thats why I am asking. It gets pretty confusing.

My current set-up (x-fi extreme music + klipsch promedia 2.1) no longer satisfies my ears. I do watch some movies, and then play games at my PC. As a side question; What is the realistic detriment to movie/gaming audio performance? I am pretty sure it is nothing I will miss. Shaking the room bass is not something I ever really used with my current speakers anyways.

I have a budget of $700. What do I do? I have concluded that I will need a new soundcard and then Audio Engine 5 bookshelf speakers, to really get the bang for my buck. But what are my other options, and options for sound cards?

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 22
To say I am a Audioengine fanboy would be an understatment...But with your budget you have options...In life there are things you can never have too much of...Too much fun...Too much money...Or too many options.

You could probably keep you Creative sound card and go with a T-Amp (I have no idea on which one) and pair them with something like the Infinity Primus P162's bookshelf speakers...Should end up with some kick ass sound quality...I really am not the person to guide you on what specific stuff to buy.

But a good T-Amp with a nice set of bookshelf speaker's should be easily within your budget.

The speaker options should be almost endless...I talked to a guy that sells T-Amps and he recommended Mirage Ominstat's...Bunches of speakers out there...And it would seem there are plenty of T-Amp's out there that would give you some pretty sweet sound quality for that many duckies.

My budget is under 500 bones and I have done my research.

I have decided that for the money I have available the Audioengine 5's paired with the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 is about as good as I can get...For 430.00 dollars I cannot seem to find something better.

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 Gold Sound Card

As far as gaming a 2.1 or 2.0 you really are not getting the EAX 3d type sound you get from a 5.1 system...Where you can hear guys behind you and all that business...I do not game on my computers anymore...I just listen to music on mine...A movie once in a blue moon...So it is all music all the time on my box...
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To say I am a Audioengine fanboy would be an understatment...But with your budget you have options...In life there are things you can never have too much of...Too much fun...Too much money...Or too many options.

But a good T-Amp with a nice set of bookshelf speaker's should be easily within your budget.
\

What exactly is a T-Amp?

Yes it is easy to get lost and go crazy....the options out there for speakers are just tremendous. Buying good headphones sure are easier! haha

My main reason to lean towards the Audioengine + Soundcard set up was not only simplicity, easier on desk space/clutter. But that it seemed that the Audioengine Bookshelf's are one of the few products outside of monitor speakers that were geared towards PC users. Adding to just that aspect is of course their performance without a PC as a source, versatility, and assumed great quality definitely means they could get re-used in the future with a PC or not.

My PC is my main source for audio and will continue to be for long time (attending college), and buying something that will last and not have me out on the market looking for an upgrade (like I am now) is why I set the budget high.

I am looking for specific set up suggestions outside of the Audiotrak and Audioengine. I just want to make sure I weigh in the options....because I have not found really any others...I don't have to spend the whole budget. I am sure there are cheaper solutions to say the Audiotrak if I just get the Audioengines for speakers.

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 22
Class T amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's not too much info there but if you do a Google search you should get a lot of hits. You can check out some retailers like Audomagus or Obad Imports (I don't have any affiliation with either) to get more of an idea of what's out there. The price can range from very inexpensive (Sonic Impact T-Amp V.2 around $60) on up. There's also DIY if you're inclined.

The Audioengine's are pretty well reviewed. Personally I went with the T-amp/bookshelf route and have been pretty happy. I have a Kingrex T20u which is a combination of USB DAC and T-amp with Paradigm Mini Monitors v.5.

With your price range you should have a lot of options available to you. You might want to check out the AVS Forums audio section for speaker reviews.

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 22
My main reason to lean towards the Audioengine + Soundcard set up was not only simplicity, easier on desk space/clutter. But that it seemed that the Audioengine Bookshelf's are one of the few products outside of monitor speakers that were geared towards PC users. Adding to just that aspect is of course their performance without a PC as a source, versatility, and assumed great quality definitely means they could get re-used in the future with a PC or not.

LOL...Yeah options are a good thing...If you can wait Mackie is coming out with some studio monitors that look like a great option...Espeically talking versatility

They will be availiable in mid-May...Here are a couple of links...Talk about connectivity...Whew!!!! They have that covered in spades...Check em out !!!!!

Mackie - MR Series Studio Monitors

Musician's Friend - Hands-On Review: Mackie MR5 and MR8 Active Studio Monitors

biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...Yeah options are a good thing...If you can wait Mackie is coming out with some studio monitors that look like a great option...Espeically talking versatility

They will be availiable in mid-May...Here are a couple of links...Talk about connectivity...Whew!!!! They have that covered in spades...Check em out !!!!!

Mackie - MR Series Studio Monitors

Musician's Friend - Hands-On Review: Mackie MR5 and MR8 Active Studio Monitors

biggrin.gif

That MR8 sure is tempting...

BTW, can you try to use the quote button? It makes things a lot easier to read.

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That MR8 sure is tempting...

BTW, can you try to use the quote button? It makes things a lot easier to read.

I can do that...The quote button thingy that is.

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 22
Those T-Amps are expensive and there are all kinds of different models. And I am worried about...whether or not I could plug in headphones or not. I am a complete new guy at this so I am getting easily confused. The idea of a sound card + speakers was pretty easy to grasp.

But I need an amp, psu, and DAC? Why? They also seem to not only use up the budget but, why would this sound better for a PC centered system? Isn't then a receiver involved?

Sorry for being kind of vague/dumb. But I need like a specific... A-B-C kind of breakdown what I can look at to get.

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 22
I picked up a tube amp here for ~$100 that is not a great headphone amp but makes an awesome speaker amp. I use it in my bedroom setup with a set of Mission 761I's and an somewhat homemade 8" powered sub and love the sound. Total cost was ~$300. I see space is important but you can do much better than those T amps by buying something from the 70's. If you want to drive some loud sound levels the advantage with 70's stuff is they had large transformers and capacitors. If you are listening at maybe a 10watt signal you may hit bass notes that require 50watts to reproduce faithfully...with the big caps an amp can do that easily. I myself have never heard a t amp but i have heard 80's amps that used STK power IC's for output and can say that was not an improvement in sound but saved weight and cost for the makers.

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 22
What are your needs? Gaming and music? Headphone and speaker quality? Upgrades to your source, amplification and your speakers? Be a bit more specific cause these guys can think of 10 trillion ways to spend your money
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are your needs? Gaming and music? Headphone and speaker quality? Upgrades to your source, amplification and your speakers? Be a bit more specific cause these guys can think of 10 trillion ways to spend your money
smily_headphones1.gif

I had great help over at the AVS forums. They broke down the options...I have narrowed it down. So the best solution for me is Active speakers, Active Desktop speakers etc. (the kind with the amp built-in). This is because this is just a PC centered system. PC being the source. The other options sure do open up a huge roster of speakers to choose from but I would want that for a dedicated audio system, not one centered around a PC/Desk.

Music, Games, Movies would be the needs. But the vast majority use being Music....which is why I want an upgrade!

EDIT: I have decided on the Audioengine A5's.

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #13 of 22
Bump and a new dilemma!

Whats the best way to go about having an easy way to plug in my headphones now? The A5's sure don't give me an option. I do have a front-bay for my x-fi sound card I could install. But it isn't exactly the greatest thing in the world.

Would that suffice or is there a better solution? Like an external device that would connect to my sound card, plug in the A5's but have a headphone port to? Would a DAC do this?

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 22
I don't think you searched very hard. There are lots of threads coving this topic (I know because I posted in about half of them); Thread 1 Thread 2.

Quote:

Bump and a new dilemma!

Whats the best way to go about having an easy way to plug in my headphones now? The A5's sure don't give me an option. I do have a front-bay for my x-fi sound card I could install. But it isn't exactly the greatest thing in the world.

Would that suffice or is there a better solution? Like an external device that would connect to my sound card, plug in the A5's but have a headphone port to? Would a DAC do this?

Ditch the soundcard and get a USB DAC, headphone amp, and pre-amp combo like the Fubar III. The Fubar would then feed the A5s or an external amp if you decide to go with passive monitors or bookshelfs, as well as taking over your sound card and headphone amplification.

Since you have a pretty sweet budget I would take a look at the KEFiQ1s + an external amp (a T-amp would drive them fine). They are fairly compact and the coaxial driver (tweeter in the center of the woofer) would work great in a nearfeild environment, they also look awesome
cool.gif
. I think they would be my choice if I wasn't taking the DIY approach.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you have a pretty sweet budget I would take a look at the KEFiQ1s + an external amp (a T-amp would drive them fine). They are fairly compact and the coaxial driver (tweeter in the center of the woofer) would work great in a nearfeild environment, they also look awesome
cool.gif
. I think they would be my choice if I wasn't taking the DIY approach.

Those KEF's are supposed to sound great near field because of the unified driver. I'll likely get some one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back