Upgrade Help (moving on from Klipsch Promedia)
Apr 21, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you searched very hard.

I have searched very hard. It just really confusing most especially when you start with no knowledge really of anything outside of multimedia speakers. I have seen your posts in many threads! You've been very helpful. : )It is kind of slim pickins for powered/active speakers. In that though...I think we should definitely make some sort of sticky guide for this topic. It comes up a lot. I was able to discover that the A5's kind of trounce any Swans in this price range.

Quote:

Ditch the soundcard and get...

Does anyone know then the extensive of needing creative EAX for games these days? I mean do you lose sound effects etc. anything like that? I have no idea...but I mean the reason I have always had a sound card was for gaming.

Quote:

USB DAC, headphone amp, and pre-amp combo like the Fubar III. The Fubar would then feed the A5s or an external amp if you decide to go with passive monitors or bookshelfs, as well as taking over your sound card and headphone amplification.

I have been looking at the Fubar III actually! I found it through google on this blog. From what I have discovered, it seems like the most cost-effective solution for my needs. Which is the ability to still plug-in headphones. Sounds like you agree?

My other question is about the "or an external amp". I would have to buy another amp if I upgrade from A5's (or any other speaker without a built in amp) for them?

EDIT: Answered my own question.

Quote:

Since you have a pretty sweet budget I would take a look at the KEFiQ1s + an external amp (a T-amp would drive them fine). They are fairly compact and the coaxial driver (tweeter in the center of the woofer) would work great in a nearfeild environment, they also look awesome
cool.gif
. I think they would be my choice if I wasn't taking the DIY approach.

Those are just wow! They look great. This is kind of redundant as I asked just above. But would just the Fubar III power these? Or do I need another amp also?

I just found out about the NHT M-00's, I have no idea how they compare to the A5's. They are an older and kind of hard to find. I was able to find a pair for sale here in the FS sections. Not sure if I want them over the A5's yet. Anyone have an opinion?

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #17 of 22
The Audioengine 5's are active and have either own amp...So a T-Amp is not needed.

DAC's seem to be preffered over internal PCI sound cards because they are not succeptable to the internal electrical interference associated with fans and all that business.

LOL...I would take everthing I say with a grain of salt as I am new to all this business myself.

That is why I am looking at going with a T-Amp/DAC...Powers passive speakers and is supposed to have way better sound quality versus the PCI sound card paired with computer type speakers like Logitech and Klipsch.

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know then the extensive of needing creative EAX for games these days? I mean do you lose sound effects etc. anything like that? I have no idea...but I mean the reason I have always had a sound card was for gaming.

A DAC doesn't have any post processing so yeah you'll loose support for the more advanced EAX versions, (lesser versions can be done in software). But since you'll be using just two speakers anyway I don't see much of a point in things like EAX.

Quote:

I have been looking at the Fubar III actually! I found it through google on this blog. From what I have discovered, it seems like the most cost-effective solution for my needs. Which is the ability to still plug-in headphones. Sounds like you agree?

Yeah, I like the Fubar III, there aren't too many high quality USB DACs that have pre-outs that are reasonably priced (not to mention the built in headphone amp). I almost bought it myself but I found a sweet deal on the Spitfire from a member here.

Quote:

Those are just wow! They look great. This is kind of redundant as I asked just above. But would just the Fubar III power these? Or do I need another amp also?

I just found out about the NHT M-00's, I have no idea how they compare to the A5's. They are an older and kind of hard to find. I was able to find a pair for sale here in the FS sections. Not sure if I want them over the A5's yet. Anyone have an opinion?

You would need an amp to drive them. A T-amp like the Firestone Big Joe, or the Trends would a nice job driving them.

The NHTs are probably better than the Audioengines, but then they are quite a bit more money, you could probably buy NHT bookshelfs and a separate amp for less.

Personally I think I would go with the iQ1s +, a Fubar III & Big Joe combo.

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Personally I think I would go with the iQ1s +, a Fubar III & Big Joe combo.

Fubar III and a Big Joe? How exactly would this set-up work? Is having two knobs a hassle? Just what I imagine:
Speakers -> Big Joe -> Fubar III -> USB to PC
If I can plug in the speakers to a Fubar III; Wouldn't a Fubar III + Supplier be a cheaper route? Or is this just not as good?

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Fubar III and a Big Joe? How exactly would this set-up work? Is having two knobs a hassle? Just what I imagine:
Speakers -> Big Joe -> Fubar III -> USB to PC
If I can plug in the speakers to a Fubar III; Wouldn't a Fubar III + Supplier be a cheaper route? Or is this just not as good?

The Big Joe is a power amp, power measured in watts. The Supplier is a DC power source for upgrading one of the Firestone DACs or headphone amps, you can't drive speakers with it.

The Fubar and Big Joe do both have volume controls but if you read on the bottom of that page you'll notice there is an internal switch to bypass the volume control if you'll be using it with a pre-amp (which would be the Fubar III in your situation). So you would go PC USB -- > Fubar III --> Big Joe --> Speakers.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #21 of 22
I have decided to go with the Audio Engines. I know it might not be as good....but it will be a big upgrade from what I currently have and it saves me a chunk of change from my budget. Maybe finally get a new MP3 player for myself!

Thanks so much for everyones help. As far as other hardware goes, I am going to get the Fubar III and Supplier psu just somewhat later. I look forward to finally not hearing a creative sound card push my music. Next step will be headphones that will benefit from an amp! As the fubar will supply this opportunity/excuse
smily_headphones1.gif
This is head-fi.org - this is whats most important, haha.

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Next step will be headphones that will benefit from an amp! As the fubar will supply this opportunity/excuse
smily_headphones1.gif
This is head-fi.org - this is whats most important, haha.

I know what you mean. At some point I'm going to have to upgrade my $75 headphones to justify my $190 amp
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back