Upgrade from Ultrasone Pro 750 / should I invest in an amp instead?
Jan 20, 2017 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

crenfro

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I need an upgrade for my Ultrasone Pro 750 so I can take the Ultrasone Pro 750 to work.

I was looking at the Sennheiser HD700, as I saw a GREAT recent comparison on HeadFi:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/832713/headphone-comparison-sennheiser-hd700-denon-ah-d2000-sony-mdr-7520-audeze-lcd-2-rev-1-and-a-pair-of-logitech-ue6000s

Then started wondering if they are any better than the HD650, which I've read a lot of good things about. and people are saying that it's not but that the HD800 is substantially better, but that's $1000 and I'd like to keep it under $500. Then I looked up if there were any equivalents to the HD800 for the same price range (hopefully closer to the < $500 range) and stumbled on lots of people raving about the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000x. But a lot of Amazon reviews are saying they are on par if not inferior to the HD600 - let alone the HD800! There were also some comments saying the upper mids were emphasized on the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000x - which is my problem with the Ultrasone Pro 750 - too much upper midrange, almost shrill and too sharp (I'm not an audiophile so I can't give much more detail). I've also seen some people 

That said I use a focusrite scarlett 2i4 so nothing fancy, is it even worth it to go more expensive until I upgrade that? I don't want to pay $500 if it's like "anything over a $300 pair you won't get any benefit out of if you use your scarlett unless you pay another $500 on an amp and another $500 on a DAC" 

So I guess: what do I want?

* Something that isn't as shrill/annoying in the upper ranges as my existing Ultrasone Pro 750's
* Mostly neutral - I hate skullcandy/bose etc.
* As much detail/clarity if not more than my Ultrasone Pro 750's
* VALUE - this is key
* Something that I will actually be able to appreciate the additional sound quality for the price (like even if X set of headphones is tremendous for the price of $400 - I don't want to buy it if I need a new amp/DAC to appreciate it)

I would like to keep it under $500 - I get the sense that anything over that breaks my final rule (need new amp/dac to fully appreciate). Flat response, value and sound quality are the 3 main constraints.

Also if anyone knows where to get 3.55mm to 1/4" converter that don't absolutely blow - let me know. I got a 3 pack some from Amazon but literally all 3 of them don't work - you jiggle the cable slightly and there's an open circuit. I found a thread on here where people were suggesting I spend $150 for a freaking 3.55mm to 1/4" converter! I don't need the damn thing to be platinum plated and signed by nelson mandela I just need a converter that won't be an open circuit / loose connection!

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 9
BTW - I just tried 2 pairs from co-workers.
The audio-technica ATH-m50 and the grado labs SR80.

The m50's were very muddled, especially in the low end, not very clear or detailed compared to my Ultrasone's. The Grado labs SR80's seemed more open and balanced, maybe slightly more clarity as well.

Neither were as good as my Ultrasone's (maybe the SR80's) - so I need something a bit of a step up from those 2 pairs.

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Philips Fidelio X2 or Hifiman HE400S are good bets if you are looking to upgrade your headphones. They both come with 1/4" adapters so you should be fine there. If you still need another adapter, the one sold by Ugreen on Amazon should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Ugreen-6-35mm-Female-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B00EL9V5XW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1484937893&sr=8-10&keywords=1+4+adapter

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 9
+1 on the HE400S. It's not remotely shrill, is neutral, and extremely detailed. I personally believe it competes with HD650/600 quite well. Other reviewers agree. It has a huge soundstage. And best of all--your phone or ipod will drive it perfectly well. No amp needed. Highly recommended.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the replies. Those do indeed seem like a good pair and at a good price range. I trust they are pretty good value based on reading around.

I mis-spoke regarding the converter. I actually need a 1/4" to 3.55mm converter - so the opposite. I find that the run-of-the-mill 3.55mm to 1/4" work just fine - it's the other way around that I can't find a good converter for. Maybe the ones at the guitar center? (and yeah the converter is for the Ultrasones - not a potential new pair which I expect to come with a converter - the Ultrasones only have the 1/4")

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 9
  Thanks for the replies. Those do indeed seem like a good pair and at a good price range. I trust they are pretty good value based on reading around.

I mis-spoke regarding the converter. I actually need a 1/4" to 3.55mm converter - so the opposite. I find that the run-of-the-mill 3.55mm to 1/4" work just fine - it's the other way around that I can't find a good converter for. Maybe the ones at the guitar center? (and yeah the converter is for the Ultrasones - not a potential new pair which I expect to come with a converter - the Ultrasones only have the 1/4")

Found one made by Sennheiser, should suit your needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Cable-Adapter-Female-6-3mm/dp/B008JGWY2Y/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1484943386&sr=8-15&keywords=1+4+to+1+8+adapter

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 9
Yes! Thanks Wyllio. That's a reasonable price, and I like that it's a cable not 1 bit thing (so I can still plug it into a port without a giant metal thing sticking out. And I trust Sennheiser they are a reputable brand.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 9
Since you are willing to get an open headphone for home use, I'd suggest that you get the Ultrasone PRO2500 (used or new-old-stock) or PRO2900 headphone, along with an O2 DAC/amp combo.

The 2500/2900 will have similar characteristics that you are used to from the 750 (and won't get in any of the other models suggested).
The O2 DAC/amp is transportable, so you can easily take it between work & home getting the benefits in both places.

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 9
I actually am trying to get away from the Ultrasone profile for the reasons I initially listed. The Pro 750's are not bad by any means, but I'd like a little more diversity, and definitely something that isn't so shrill in the higher ranges. The clarity and detail are great on the Ultrasones and they are perfect for certain types of music. They're okay for mixing but I have a set of studio monitors that are less detailed but more neutral that I find better for mixing.

They also seem pretty weak in the bass. I get good instrument separation in the low end, easily able to distinguish sounds (almost too good for mixing, because it sounds great on them but on other speakers/headphones bass sections get tangled and you have to mix accordingly) but I'd like a little bit more pronouncement of the lows - that said I'd take the Ultrasone's bass profile over the audio-technica ATH-m50 bass-in-your-face. 

I like what I read about the Hifiman HE400S and the Philips X2/27 so far. I'm reading some more about the two. I'll definitely still use my Ultrasone's - I just would like to add something different to my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back