Upgrade from TDK BA200?
Aug 4, 2014 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Iroaseta

New Head-Fier
I wonder what would be the better choice as an upgrade of TDK BA200?
It is still working like a charm but I guess it is always good to make my research before something bad happened.

What I like about TDK BA200

1) Warm signature
2) Soundstage
3) Clarity / Treble
4) Good bass
5) Forwarded vocal
6) Extremely comfortable

What I like to keep / improve in my next upgrade :

1) Probably a warm signature as well (I had Sony XBA-1 and I think it is terrible when compared to TDK BA200 [IMO])
2) A wider soundstage, in both depth and width (My choice of songs / music always involve chanting, ambient sounds, echoes and such)
3) Clearer and more transparent clarity / treble (I felt that the clarity / treble in TDK BA200 is a bit too smooth for my preference, making it quite unnatural [judging from strings / guitars])
4) A little more bass, in both quality and quantity (I just want a little more, just a little more)
5) Clearer / Crisper vocal, with a little "backwarded" placement (At times vocal can be a bit muddy for me, and I felt like the vocal is a little aggressive at some point of time as well)
6) If it is as comfortable as TDK BA200 I guess it is good to go. I probably like the over the ear design.

I don't mind to spend a little more than TDK BA200, but I would be much more appreciated if the pieces are in a good price : performance ratio, just like TDK BA200.
Feel free to ask more questions!

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 2
Hello,

Not sure if you're still looking for responses but this is a snippet from the reply to a question I had asked ljokerl on The Headphone List, regarding an upgrade to Steelseries Flux Pro with more bass quantity and quality:

"TDK BA200 – doesn’t really fit your requirement for GREATER bass quantity but in terms of value for money among Flux Pro upgrades it’s the best. Excellent earphones for $200​
Shure SE535 – an alternative to the BA200 with a similar sound profile and Shure build quality​
InEar StageDiver 2 (SD-2) – an upgrade to the BA200, and one of the best universals I’ve tried. Still not MORE bass quantity than the Flux pro, but quality is certainly better.​
Westone W40 – I personally don’t like it as much as the SD-2, but it has a mid-bass hump that the SD-2 lacks, which puts the bass quantity closer to where you want it.​
Westone UM Pro 30 – a stage earphone that differs from the other here with its uniquely full-bodied and lush sound. Arguably a little flatter than the W40 but bass is still plentiful. Presentation is very forward and intimate, as tends to be the trend with stage earphones.​
EarSonics SM64 – among the bassiest of all the pure BA universals. Amazing bass punch and depth with very competent overall performance."​

"I would probably arrange the bass of the four I’ve tried like so:​
Quantity: SD-3 > SM64 >> SD-2 > BA200
Quality: BA200 > SD-2 > SM64 > SD-3​
With > Being an incremental gain and >> being a sizable one. For instance the SD-2 only has a little more bass impact and depth than the BA200.​
In terms of the bass quantity to quality ratio, the SM64 is really high up there IMO. It’s not a perfect earphone, but bass is something it does very well. If the Velvet is even better, that would be very impressive."​
 ​
Hope you find this useful.  I'm currently saving up for the SM64 or Velvet but have concerns regarding the design flaws (crack/space) on the shell, especially considering the price tag.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back