Upgrade from Superlux HD668B to Something better??
Dec 29, 2013 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cloudnine

New Head-Fier
Hopefully theres someone to point me to what im looking for.. I currently have some Superlux HD668B.. which are OK but find them a bit uncomfortable if i wear them for longer than an hour or so (ive changed the pads to velvet ones).

I mainly listen to streamed music from deezer @ 320kbps through an older Creative Xfi Pro sound card (has a Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC) and films through Yamaha RX-v1067 amp.  

Listen to all sorts of music from D&B, rock, acoustic stuff etc.

I quite like the neutralish sound from the 668s but maybe want something with a little more punch and bass.
So ideally i want the moon on a stick headphones but have about £150 to spend.
Shortlist of 

Philips fidelio X1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Fidelio-X1-00-Headphones/dp/B008ZW2T7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388323061&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+fidelio+x1

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-Headset-OHM/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388323159&sr=8-1&keywords=770+headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Monitor-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388323240&sr=1-1&keywords=audio-technica+ath-m50s

I did fancy the HD598s but cant stand the colour.  If they did the 598s in a different colour id probably have gone for them.
Any advice or cans i should consider??

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 4
Which model X-Fi sound card is it?
How is the X-Fi connected to the receiver?
Does your computer's graphic card come with an HDMI output?

As your using a receiver, it's better to get high impedance headphones.
Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm headphones
AKG K612 Pro 120-Ohm headphones
Sennheiser HD558s are only 50-ohm, but seem to work well with A/v receivers.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 4
  Which model X-Fi sound card is it?
How is the X-Fi connected to the receiver?
Does your computer's graphic card come with an HDMI output?

As your using a receiver, it's better to get high impedance headphones.
Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm headphones
AKG K612 Pro 120-Ohm headphones
Sennheiser HD558s are only 50-ohm, but seem to work well with A/v receivers.

Thanks for the reply...
Its a Creative X-fi Elite Pro with a  Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC connected via an optical lead to the amp.
No hdmi out.  Ive generally used the desktop hooked up to audio engine A5s in the kitchen and have recently moved it and started to listen to headphones more.  May as well listen to some good comfy ones.  Also due to where i live i cant exactly go demo cans either so..
I was leaning towards to Philips fidelio X1 as they are on sale for £150 at amazon.. but theres just so many different makes, models and opinions its pretty hard to pick something.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks for the reply...
Its a Creative X-fi Elite Pro with a  Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC connected via an optical lead to the amp.
No hdmi out.  Ive generally used the desktop hooked up to audio engine A5s in the kitchen and have recently moved it and started to listen to headphones more.  May as well listen to some good comfy ones.  Also due to where i live i cant exactly go demo cans either so..
I was leaning towards to Philips fidelio X1 as they are on sale for £150 at amazon.. but theres just so many different makes, models and opinions its pretty hard to pick something.

For low impedance headphones like the 30-Ohm Philips you a little better off buying a very low output impedance headphone amplifier and plugging it into the Elite Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back