Upgrade from SR-60's to ~$200-250 range
Mar 25, 2008 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

JWFokker

500+ Head-Fier
I've recently been overhauling my gear, first picking up a DAC, a pair of q-Jays (for at work), then a Darkvoice 336i (previously used a Millett Hybrid), and now I'm down to selecting new phones. My SR-60's have served me well for a few years now, but the rest of my hardware has eclipsed the Grados. Now it's time to upgrade to something in the $200-250 range, but while I like the SR-60's a lot, I'd like to find something more versatile, while still maintaining the open sound and punchy bass of the Grados. I'd considered the SR-225's, but I want cans I can use with rock, classical, rap, movies and games and I think other cans are able to do some of those better than the Grados, particularly the movies and games. I've been looking at the AKG K701's and the Beyerdynamic DT-880, but I've been out of the loop for a couple of years so I'm not too familiar with all of the options available anymore. What cans are available that are Grado-esque, but a bit more relaxed and versatile?

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 18
anything to help el duderino (i'm not into the whole brevity thing).

i think those two choices you listed are good headphones, but not as up-front as the grados (from what ive heard. please correct me if im wrong). The grado sound is pretty unique actually. Perhaps the sony cd2000? i've heard these have a similar sound, again please someone correct me if im wrong.

If i were you, i would try to find a used pair of alessandro MS-2 or MS-2i, you won't be disappointed!

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 18
The K701's sound nothing at all like Grados. The DT880's are much closer, but their very flaw, rock music, is the thing that Grados do best (doesn't have as much impact on the DT880's). For this reason, I do plan to own a pair of DT880's some day since they do a lot of stuff really well that Grados don't do quite as well (organ music, for example, sounds more spacious and reverbant on the DT880's). I would say they're a good complement.

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still looking for info regarding how the DT880 and K701 compare to the signature Grado sound.

I've had the DT880 '05 for 13 months and the Grado SR60 for 5 months, both are probably well burned in at this point. The 880 is noticeably more detailed, has stronger high frequency & low frequency reproduction, but lacks a bit of the punch that the SR60 has (which contributes to the 'fun' factor of Grados, I suppose). The DT880 is very clear and uncongested; the only way to really understand this is to listen to a pair for a bit, and then put on the SR60.. the upper frequencies just aren't as clean, whereas the 880 makes them seem like cymbals and such have been scrubbed and polished nicely so they glisten in the afternoon sun (relatively speaking).

The 880 has a fantastic soundstage, placing instruments at various distances in front of you when the recording calls for it (it doesn't impose some false, huge soundstage on music that is made to sound closed-in) while the SR60 makes you feel as though you're right in the middle of things (great for some music, not so great for others).

The 880 is much more versatile, able to do just about any genre thrown at it, while I feel the SR60 is very much oriented for guitar-based music, though it holds its own in jazz and some electronic sub-genres.

When it comes to complex music where there are "walls of sound" coming at you, the SR60 chokes pretty bad, giving you just that: a seemingly bland, textureless wall of sound. One example I really noticed this with was Blonde Redhead's song "23 1": it's very hard to decide just what is going on behind the vocals on the SR60. Another track that exhibits this is The Chameleons' "Perfume Garden." The DT880 really helps describe what these walls of sound are all about, giving enough air and space between instruments and sounds to allow the cues about where they are on the soundstage to come through.

..but given what I've just said, the SR60 doesn't fall that far behind the dt880 when you factor in the cost difference between the two, and the fact that you can plug the SR60 into just about anything with a 1/8" jack and it'll sound pretty damn good, while the DT880 requires a decent source and some decent amplification, both of which will end up costing you more than the DT880's themselves.

I keep both as complements to each other: using the SR60 for a few days and then putting on the DT880 is a great way to re-realize how superior the 880 is in just about every way
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #8 of 18
Is there anything closer to the Grado sound than the DT880s that I'm missing? I know exactly what you mean regarding how the SR-60s choke on complex music, and that's precisely why I'm looking for a Grado alternative, but I was looking for something that still has the visceral bass/midrange punch of the Grados. I've heard the DT880 described as having a very wide soundstage and an even brighter high-end than the K701's, which is why I was hesitant to just buy a set of DT880s, because that didn't sound at all similar to Grados. But what else is there in the $200-250 range? I couldn't find anything else regarded nearly as well as the DT880 or K701. Sennheisers are right out, and based on what I've read, Audio Technica and Denon didn't strike me as particularly competitive in the $200-250 range.

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 18
In the 200-250 range, assuming you have the source and amp already (do you? cuz that's another $500-1000 right there) then the DT880 is probably your best bet, barring some obscure classic AKG that'll probably also need a decent amp/source.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 18
I personally recognize some basic similarities between Grados (at least the SR225, which I own) and certain AKG models (some of which I've owned, and others I've auditioned).

Nothing I've heard can really present mids in the same way as the Grados, and that's why I will be keeping them. However, I find the K501 and K601 to offer a roughly equal, yet more refined, midrange. With both of these headphones, I find the mids to be slightly forward as with the Grados, and that's much to my liking. The bass extension and impact of the AKGs is a bit different, and in this regard I have a slight preference for the K601. I have only used my SR225 with bowls, and am generally pretty happy with the bass response, though I think these headphones are capable of more and better bass with different pads and amps.

Speaking of the highs, I find the above-mentioned AKGs slightly more rolled off and less metallic-sounding than the Grados, and less sparkly, though the SR225 is known, at least to some, to be a bit less harsh in the treble than certain other Grados, including the SR60. While I don't have the hearing of a beagle, to me the signature AKG treble response is akin in a pretty strong way to the Etymotic ER-4.

So, for an overall improvement over of the SR60 for a bit more money, and without disregarding the things you like about the sound of the SR60, I might say that either the SR225 or K601 would be decent choices.

P.S. I don't use headphones for movies and games, so won't comment on this.

Mar 29, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzydice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the 200-250 range, assuming you have the source and amp already (do you? cuz that's another $500-1000 right there) then the DT880 is probably your best bet, barring some obscure classic AKG that'll probably also need a decent amp/source.

I recently got a Darkvoice 336i that can do 1W up to 600ohm, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Mar 29, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ^adm^ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noone suggest Goldring DR-150 yet?
i am first then
smily_headphones1.gif

I read up on the Goldring and while the soundstage is supposed to be not quite as in your face as with Grados, it's still got the same problems as Grados, in that there's not enough separation between sounds and complex music turns into a wall of sound rather than individual instruments.

Mar 29, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzydice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Given the already existing DV 336i the obscure classic AKG K340
wink.gif
would be a very good alternative to the also very good DT880.

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #15 of 18
The AKG K340 does sound interesting. I'd like to hear an electrostatic alternative to Stax, but I think first finding them will be a problem, and then there's the problem of getting them for a reasonable price. I think since they've been "rediscovered" the cost of even heavily used pairs has jumped up considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back