Upgrade from Sennheiser HD650's
Oct 31, 2017 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Avean

100+ Head-Fier
I've had the HD650's from Sennheiser a few years now and its been a pleasure all the way. Ive used it for music, gaming and movies. After beeing to careless with em the cables are not so good anymore and i need to change em out. What is the best upgrade coming from the HD650's? I really like the sound of the HD650, maybe prefer a little bit more bass but i cant really complain, its amazing pair of headsets.

No budget, i want to spend some money on a pair of headsets i can use for many years.

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 16
The STAX SRS-3100 electrostatic system (SR-L300 headphones + SRM-252S amp) would be my top recommendation under $1,000.

If you want a headphone similar to the HD 650 but with higher performance, the Focal Elear is also great.

Oh, and there's the HD 660 S, which is the direct successor to the HD 650.

But you can always get replacement cables if you don't want to bother with other headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 16
I've had the HD650's from Sennheiser a few years now and its been a pleasure all the way. Ive used it for music, gaming and movies. After beeing to careless with em the cables are not so good anymore and i need to change em out. What is the best upgrade coming from the HD650's? I really like the sound of the HD650, maybe prefer a little bit more bass but i cant really complain, its amazing pair of headsets.
No budget, i want to spend some money on a pair of headsets i can use for many years.

Can we assume your currently plugging the HD650 directly into a motherboard's on-board audio?
Or do you have a separate headphone amplifier?

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 16
Can we assume your currently plugging the HD650 directly into a motherboard's on-board audio?
Or do you have a separate headphone amplifier?
Using an Asus Essence STX II with headphone amplifier built-in.

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 16
Oct 31, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 16
LCD2 is pretty much a direct upgrade from the 650, it does everything better IMO. Better bass, more detail, more clarity, more dynamic, more interesting, more emotional. Can't go wrong! HD660S is reportedly better in most every way than the 650 but not by too much. Either of them is a good pick based on your budget

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 16
sold my LCD-2 to buy a ZMF Atticus.

Checks all your boxes but needs an amp(as do all the HPs in this thread)

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 16
sold my LCD-2 to buy a ZMF Atticus.

Checks all your boxes but needs an amp(as do all the HPs in this thread)
How do you like the change? I'm considering buying an Atticus to compliment but not replace my LCD2. I'm loaning both Atticus and Eikon from a fellow member but theyre still in the mail as of now

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 16
I owned a pre-fazor,so YMMV...

I no longer own my Audeze but I recall the first time I heard the Atticus I thought "LCD-2 with better mids". IMHO they are too similar to own both,unless you have wads of cash that needs to be spent needlessly.

Atticus is def more amp picky than the LCD-2

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 16
How do you like the change? I'm considering buying an Atticus to compliment but not replace my LCD2. I'm loaning both Atticus and Eikon from a fellow member but theyre still in the mail as of now
The Atticus will be closer to the LCD 2’s . The Atticus and Eikons are like the 650’s and 600’s but with much better soundstage. I liked the Eikons better out of my Kenzie but Atticus is also good.

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the suggestion guys, will definetely check out these headsets. Maybe i will just order a new set of cables also seeing the 650's are modular. Why didnt i think of that? :p Its not settings for those suggesting that, this is me simply dropping the headset 1000x times and rolling over the wires with my chair....my own fault haha.

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for the suggestion guys, will definetely check out these headsets. Maybe i will just order a new set of cables also seeing the 650's are modular. Why didnt i think of that? :p Its not settings for those suggesting that, this is me simply dropping the headset 1000x times and rolling over the wires with my chair....my own fault haha.

Yup, just get a new cable if that's the problem. Just wanna let you know, the 650 upscale greatly with better amp; just saying :ksc75smile:

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #13 of 16
Just wanna let you know, the 650 upscale greatly with better amp; just saying :ksc75smile:

Hmm that is interesting. I always thought my soundcard was enough. You have any amp suggestions?

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #14 of 16
Hmm that is interesting. I always thought my soundcard was enough. You have any amp suggestions?

magni 3 does quite well with HD650 for a start. I've tried my 6XX with different amps at price range of $99-$2400; it just keep getting better. Although, synergy does come first.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #15 of 16
Soundcard won't quite show you why the 650 are worth over 300 bucks IMO, the better the amp the more obvious it becomes why people love this headphone! I'd say get at least a Magni 3 if you wanna do the 650 justice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back