upgrade from paradisea to ?
Nov 22, 2008 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

shadowlord

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

i want to upgrade my paradisea in my main rig and move the paradisea to my second rig.

the paradisea is fed with a esi maya 44 soundcard out of a pc.
the paradiesa sounds good but compared to my cambridge audio azur 640C v2 cd-player i miss some impact and drive in the music.

i could not listen to any dac in my area so ordering online is my only option.

i'm looking to spend around 500 euros (625 $). should i wait for a CA dacmagic or are there any other options. will the dacmagic even sound as good as my 640c?

i listen mostly with my elac 244 speakers fed by the CA 640A v2 amp.

any suggestions ?

Nov 24, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 12
i searched the net a bit and think that i might want an upsampling dac this time.

would i notice an improvement with the stello DA100 ?

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 12
I think for $625 you won't find a DAC that's clearly better than the Paradisea. If you want bang for buck you should try the Oritek OMZ DAC.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 12
. . . the problem is the DAC? If I understand correctly, you are comparing the sound of your stand alone CDP to the PC/DAC combo. There are many ways in which the SQ could be degraded before the data ever reaches the DAC. The upsampling in the DacMagic might help with SQ vs. the Paradisea if you are not getting good data from the PC - otherwise, most likely a sideways move.

I'm pretty new at computer audio, but you might want to check out the "PC Audio" section at Audio Asylum or "Computer as Source" here.

Cheers,
Larry

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 12
i don't think that the pc is the problem. when i connect the cdp to the paradisea and switch between the inputs there is little to none difference.

but i have a stock zero dac in my pc setup.
do you think that i should order the hdam and compare the modded zero to the paradisea? is the zero an oversampling dac?
and which hdam should i get, earth, moon or sun.?

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 12
btw have you rolled any tubes in your paradisea? You say you are missing drive and impact. With the right tube, these were exactly what I thought were the strengths of the paradisea.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #8 of 12
i was using a 60's WE 369A for a year or so and now i'm using a Bendix 2c51. I'm still searching for a 50's WE JW 2c51/369A.

what tube do you recommend, XXII?

btw, could i replace the output opamp in the paradisea with a hdam to?
if so i maybe order one and see where it works best, in the zero or in the paradisea.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 12
You most certainly want to replace the zero opamp with a HDAM. I'm loving Earth atm, but I have Sun and Moon to play with as my fancy takes me.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 12
i have a little update here.

i'm now using a western electric jw2c51 tube in the paradisea which sounds even better than the bendix jan2c51 i used before.

i tried the earth in the paradisea to, but there only was a small difference.
but the difference from stock zero to earth was night and day.
maybe the opamp in the paradisea is nearly as good as the earth.
i just placed the order for the opa sun and will compare that next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back