Upgrade from Ortofon e-Q5s?
Apr 24, 2013 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

zebylong

New Head-Fier
Very pleased with the sound of the e-Q5s, but over the last few months I've noticed a lot of crackle when moving my head. Time to retire them and try something new.

Using the e-Q5 as a baseline, what would you guys consider as an upgrade? I also have the RE400s, and while they're great, I just don't feel the same emotion while listening to them. There's something about the Ortofon mids and overal energy that really grabs me.

Budget < $500, all music genres except classical and country, non-basshead.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 5
Westone 4R or Sony EX1000 are both great though the Sonys don't have much isolation.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Very pleased with the sound of the e-Q5s, but over the last few months I've noticed a lot of crackle when moving my head. Time to retire them and try something new.

Using the e-Q5 as a baseline, what would you guys consider as an upgrade? I also have the RE400s, and while they're great, I just don't feel the same emotion while listening to them. There's something about the Ortofon mids and overal energy that really grabs me.

Budget < $500, all music genres except classical and country, non-basshead.

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Nothing really replicates that tactile bass like the Ortos do, but for mids, the SM3 is a bit thicker and with a darker tonal quality but detailing and smoothness is still there. I'd be inclined to think the SM64s to have a leaner sig in this sense but I haven't heard so take with a grain of salt. Otherwise the W4s would also capture similar note thickness and that smooth tonal balance. Albeit a bit warmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back