Upgrade from Meier Move to Pico (or Predator)?
Jul 19, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are using the DAC, get the Pico - if you don't use the DAC much, keep the Move.

Agreed.

But if it was about just the amp then I'd go the Predator.

Jul 19, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 20
That's weird, but I was only answering in regards to the original question, and I didn't see Predator in there the first time I read it.

I usually hate to throw a third (or un-asked for) option into the mix, but if the Predator is one of his original choices I have to say I do prefer the amp section of the Predator over the Pico's. And, as a complete DAC/Amp package I preferred the Predator and the 2MOVE over the Pico as well. But, the three amps are all VERY good.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 20
I think you'll enjoy the Predator

I know there are a lot of head-fi'ers that can attest to that. Anyone can tell OP how it matches the HD650?

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 20
Pico seemed to be a flavour of the month amp but the Predator is one of those that you hear time and again!!
Was a major factor ,as well as waiting time, in my decision to get the predator!
hedged my bets tho and preordered the Pico and being a bit greedy will probably still take it!!
Hardly using the DAC tho and switch constantly between that and Iqube!!
Love both!!

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 20
Shouldn't the headphones used be a consideration in this discussion? I have a Pico, and it sounds amazingly good with my MD5000s. On the other hand, I really dislike it with HD600s and SA5000s. I haven't heard the Move or Predator, but I'd expect each of these little amps to work well with a different set of headphones. Is this not the case?

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #10 of 20
The wait time alone with the Pico would be enough to push me in the Predator's direction. Immediate gratification has its benefits.
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shouldn't the headphones used be a consideration in this discussion? I have a Pico, and it sounds amazingly good with my MD5000s. On the other hand, I really dislike it with HD600s and SA5000s. I haven't heard the Move or Predator, but I'd expect each of these little amps to work well with a different set of headphones. Is this not the case?

Absolutely - synergy is important. However, I like the Predator with all my full size and IEM headphones, so I feel safe recommending it. Only with my D2000 and my Freq Show does the Pico pull ahead of the Predator. On the other hand, with my Proline 2500 the Pico is not much fun at all as the mids are a bit cold and distant. My TTVJ portable millett hybrid is even better with the D2000 and RS-1, but too forward with the Freq Show to enjoy. So, yeah, the headphones used make a difference, but less so with the Predator.

I discussed synergy to some degree in my review of the Predator and Pico and several other USB DAC Amps, and I did a review of 7 portable amps with 7 IEM looking for synergy too. Not all the answers are in the first couple of posts, as they are sort of ongoing.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/m...-micro-306883/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ess-up-338443/

Hoepfully by the end of the month I will updating the first review to EIGHT USB DAC AMPS with the D2 Boa, and the Synergy review to 10 IEM and 10 amps (Adding Boa, TTVJ, HR Micro Stack, Klipsch Image and Sleek SA6).

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wait time alone with the Pico would be enough to push me in the Predator's direction. Immediate gratification has its benefits.
wink.gif

However, you may want to also consider the burn in period on the predator (if you want immediate gratification)
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by -+ApocalypsE+- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, you may want to also consider the burn in period on the predator (if you want immediate gratification)
wink.gif

Waiting for a pico to be built and shipped vs predator burn-in period. Which would you choose?
rolleyes.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #14 of 20
I think if you really want an UPGRADE to the 2Move, and you do not need a DAC, you'd need to go up to the iQube, IMO. I don;t think either the Predator or Pico really provide much of an "upgrade", and I was able to compare them both to the 2Move. They do sound a little *different* - if you want a more forward sound, the Predator will provide this. But the iQube represents a true upgrade in performance - something to at least consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back