Upgrade from m50's
Apr 20, 2010 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Doorbell

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting the Beyerdynamic dt880 32 ohms by the end of this month. Are they a upgrade from the m50's? Also what other headphones should I look at in the $200 - $300 range. These new ones are going to be for home use, while the m50's are for more portable use. Thanks in advance.

Side note: I listen to mostly rock/hard rock music.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 30
Depends on what you're running them out of, really. Does getting the 32ohm DT880 mean it's going to be straight from laptop?

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 30
What aspects of the music do you want to sound better?

Be specific in what you want from the better headphone compared to the older headphone so yo can compare with specificity different headphones and ask around.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 30
For your music preferences I'd probably try Grados. I've never heard them but FWIR they can't be beat for rock and are easy to drive but will improve with amping.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 30
I bought the DT880/32 and M50s on the same week. I was looking for open vs. closed.

The DT880s are a definite upgrade to the M50s, but for different reasons. The DT880/32 offer an audiophile sound, with quite a bit more clarity and detail, and a lot of space between instruments. They are PHENOMENAL, though I wouldn't REPLACE the M50s with them. I find them to compliment each other well. The M50s have more bass, and are more 'fun'. Also, the DT880s don't isolate well at all, so the M50s make for a great headphone if you still need isolation.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 30
I'll also throw in Denon D2000 for consideration. They excel at bass heavy music but also do well with rock.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 30
DT770 is another warm/dark sounding can. I will just mention it for the sake of argument if bassy presentations are your cup of tea. You may also look into warm & lush HD650s that are priced higher than $300.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 30
Well the main hp's i'm looking at are the Denon d2000, dt 770/80 and the dt880/32.

I'm confused because i've read that the mid-vocals on the dt 770 and the d2000 don't sound clear and that the bass gets a life of its own.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #12 of 30
The DT880s are MUCH clearer than the DT770 Pro 80. No contest. That being said, I enjoy the funner sound of my DT770s more for music and movies. My DT880s are mostly for gaming, which they trump ANYTHING else I have tried.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the DT880/32 and M50s on the same week. I was looking for open vs. closed.

The DT880s are a definite upgrade to the M50s, but for different reasons. The DT880/32 offer an audiophile sound, with quite a bit more clarity and detail, and a lot of space between instruments. They are PHENOMENAL, though I wouldn't REPLACE the M50s with them. I find them to compliment each other well. The M50s have more bass, and are more 'fun'. Also, the DT880s don't isolate well at all, so the M50s make for a great headphone if you still need isolation.

You are like reading my mind...
I've been comparing my new M50's to my (slightly less) new DT880's. What a difference!

M50's are fun and punchy and bassssssy. The mids are a bit more recessed than the 880's and the highs are not as 'crisp'. All in all a fuller, warmer presentation seeming somewhat muted (when compared).

DT880's are lean and bright and open and airy and fast. They have a very clean and brilliant presentation. Almost too...
There is no bass slam here. It's rich, but not nearly as the M50's. They can go deep, but the M50's go DEEP.
dt880smile.png

The 880's are refined, the M50's are muscular.

If I don't compare the two, I find the M50 to be very 'natural'. Instruments all seem to be presented in a very acoustically correct manner. The only thing that stands out to me is the heavy bass and the slightly recessed upper mids.

As you... I like them both, but for different reasons. I REALLY like the isolation of the M50's. Very quiet. They are a very good fit too.

Neither is a clear stand-out for any particular type of music. I played every type I have this evening. Each kind could sound amazing on either HP. I think it would just depend on your taste, and what you like emphasized. So... if you like your rock to be slammin', don't get the DT880. They are better for a cleaner more open sound than an in-your-face attack.

Well... just my take on my first day with the M50's.

shane

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #15 of 30
I second Shane in pretty much everything he said. We seem to have the same opinions.
biggrin.gif

The DT880s are incredibly well natured and well versed in practically everything, but they aren't the funnest headphones. They just do everything well, whereas the M50s are made to truly attract a crowd with their slamming bass, and in your face presentation. They are still fairly well balanced, but may be more to your liking. I certainly prefer the sound of the M50 over the DT880's, but the DT880s are a necessity for me, as I'm a heavy gamer, and they cant be beat so far from the headphones I have tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back