Upgrade from HD555 to something more exciting (AH-D2000?)
Mar 10, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 26
Thanks for your answer x3sphere!
It's gonna be either HD650 - HD600 or AH-D2000.
I've spent the day searching the forum for different opinions on these and I just don't know what to think.
The D2000 seems to fit my needs better but I've read so many good things about HD650-HD600 that I can't just discard them.
I'll look some more!
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #17 of 26
haha, i'm in the exact same situation you are in (kinda). i'm not ready to upgrade just yet but i have been thinking about it. i have an unconditional attachment to Sennheiser. The HD 650s are my dream 'phones. Realistically I have been looking into the Denon D2000s. They really seem to fit the bill. i find the bass of my HD 555s to be unsatisfactory, especially when I listen to hip hop and electronica. i'm sure you won't be disappointed with any of your 3 choices. Choosing between the HD 650/600 boils down to the amount of bass you want; the 650 has more and is darker. Also keep in mind that the D2000s are closed headphones while the other 2 are open. don't know if that will impact your decision or not.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #18 of 26
Yeah choosing new headphones can be......
confused_face(1).gif

I've narrowed it down to either HD600 or D2000.

The D2000 really seem to be what I'm looking for with the more lively, clear while not too bright sound but I still have reserves concerning the said to be "bloated" bass and build quality (screws falling down, somewhat fragile).
I'd have to buy it from a UK site so it would be problematic if I had to use the warranty.

The HD600 is a great phone but I just don't know if it would fare well with indie/rock/pop, especially driven by my Zero.
I could buy it from a shop in my town so that's a plus and no question about the build quality.

And I don't care about the phones being closed or open, only sound quality matters.

The more I read I more opinions on these phones the more I'm confused.
"D2000 is great for indie/rock/pop"...."HD600 is in a different class than D2000"...
If I could get the D2000 for cheaper than the HD600 then it would be a lot easier, but they're the same price (same as the HD650 for that matter).

:sigh:
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

I could buy it from a shop in my town

Take your CDs, go out and try that HD600. If they also have the HD650 it's even better, listen to that one too. At this point, listening is better than hearsay.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #21 of 26
I tried listening to both (600/650) in the shop I was talking about but they said that they don't demo headphones.....
confused_face(1).gif

But they did try selling one to me....yeah right.....

This is gonna be my last question (I swear!
biggrin.gif
):
For indie/pop/rock and for the exact same price with a Zero Dac/Amp, 600 or 650?

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #22 of 26
I just did exactly that upgrade.

I went from HD 555 to AH-D2000.

Your tastes seem very similar to mine, I like a little bump in the bass for emotional power, nothing boomy. The highs are pretty similar to the HD 555, maybe a little higher, nothing too much. I also like classic rock, easy rock, ambient and alternative, like you. These are probably the headphones for you man. The bass is not boomy, trust me, it's just right for rock and alt.

I know what you think you're missing with the HD 555. I mean the clarity is there, the mids are there, it's just so damn THIN!

You can't really go too wrong. I like my new AH-D2000 allot. Tons of fun.

One thing to add -I've tried the Hd 650 too. Highs are less vs HD 555, I think. They seem made for acoustic to me, they do that damn well. I'm not sure though, I'm a noob. I ended up grabbing Denons in the end, they suited my music better.

I think the whole "other class" thing is overrated, I doubt allot of these guys saying it can abx flac vs. mp3. It's this obsession with spending tons of money I swear. The clarity is very similar between the two. The Denon might seem to come out with less because it has more bass, but it's all there.

Have you heard the Denon before ruling them out? I think you're instincts might be right if they are the same price. I got mine for about 272$US total, here in Canada. The Hd650 would have costed me about 384$US.

You can't go wrong with either. Get your headphones already.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #23 of 26
also, this might be helpful.

graphCompare.php

pay special attention to the last bar, its the 10khz to 20khz, that's a huge range.

The denon just fill in the bass you want, and brighten the sound a bit.

The Hd 650 just raise that hump in the 100hz range. You'll get more of the same with the hd 650. funner sound with denon.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #24 of 26
thanks for the input bradan.
i'm pretty sure my next set of cans are going to be the D2000s.
The HD 555s are great and all but I'm definitely starting to get by mine.
I would love to get the HD650s but they're out of my price range for now.

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get your headphones already.

I hear you on that!
biggrin.gif

Even I am beginning to get tired with all this hesitation.

And no I can't demo the denons.
Brands like grado, denon, audio-technica , ultrasone & co are either ridiculously priced here or just unfindable.

In any case I want to thank each and everyone of you who tried to help me finding new cans
beerchug.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #26 of 26
just make sure you don't buy from a shop that won't even let you audition. What's the point of paying more than online when you can't try them?
I think you'll be just as happy with either hd600/650 or d2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back