Upgrade from HD555 to something more exciting (AH-D2000?)
Mar 8, 2009 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Jazz9

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I currently have Senns HD555 and I'm looking for some new headphones.
Compared to my HD555 I'm looking for something a bit more involving, immersive whith more clarity and details whithout being aggressive or overly analytical.
I'll try to describe what I look for in a headphone (but again having so little experience with headphones I'm not even sure I know the sound I like):

I'm not a basshead by any means but I do like some, quick enough with some punch while having some wheight to it, good extension. I'll take quality over quantity anyday.
Smooth mids and detailed highs but not bright or aggressive.
They'd be used with a Zero Dac/Amp (with OPA627/LT1364).
I remember asking this question in the Zero DAC/Amp last year and someone recommended HD600s to me but I'm not so sure...
Well in fact I'm sure I would love well driven HD600 but the fact is that I only have a Zero DAC/Amp and during my research I read that they're quite hard to drive and can sound dull, slow and lifeless otherwise. Maybe the Zero could drive them to respectability I don't know...
I also looked at an other popular headphone these days on head-fi, the ATH-AD700.
I liked the fact that people described it as being airier, more detailed than HD555 while having a large soundstage (which is a big plus to me). The bass seems to be its weak point but as long as it's not that bad I could live with it I think.
I then looked at the prices for it in France and the cheapest is 149€ when fellow US head-Fiers can get it for less that 100$....(I hate you!!!
wink.gif
). The cheapest price I found was a little less than 130€ from Ebay UK.
But then again would it be a worthwile upgrade from Hd555s?

I have zero experience with Beyers, AKGs, Grados, Ultrasone & co other than what I read from reviews on Head-Fi.

I listen to Indie/Pop/Rock (think Killers, Coldplay, Weezer, The Streets, Bloc Party,Keane, The Servant, Oasis...no hard rock or metal) with some electronica (Prodigy) , Instru OSt (Lord Of the Rings, things like that)...

My budget is around 150-180€. I would only spend more if it's really worth it (HD600 for ex.) and I could definitely spend less if not needed.
So HD600? AD700? Something else? I would really appreciate it if some of you could share their experience with me.

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 26
Well in fact let's just say that I'm looking for cans to listen to indie/rock music.
I think I'll forget about HD600, I wanna try something else than Sennheiser and AD700 doesn't seem to fit the bill (or does it?).

I want something less laid-back than Hd555, more fun, clear, dynamic without being totally unbalanced (I don't want a subwoofer between my ears for ex.)
Grados are recommended for rock but I'm afraid that they'll be a little too harsh for me and I'm worried about the comfort too (I want something that I can listen for long sessions).

What phones would fit the bill?

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 26
A list of some phones and the prices I could get them for (either French UK or German prices) just to give you an idea:

HD600: 230€
DT880 2005: 211€
ATH-AD900: 200-210€
DT770 2005: 195€
Ultrasone Proline 750 (old version): 189€
DT860 2007: 156€
Akg K601: 155€
ATH-AD700: 120-130€
Alessandro MS1: ~80€ if I win the taxes lottery
wink.gif

This is just a sample so of course if something not on the list would be more suited for my needs (Indie/Pop/Rock) feel free to say so.
Like I said in my previous posts I would like something that brings more life to this kind of music because to me the Senns can get pretty boring, I want something involving.

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 26
If available in your price range, the Denon headphones would be worth looking into (D2000 or D1001). Otherwise, I'd go with the MS1.

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 26
I didn't even think about them (the d2000) thinking they'd be close to 300€ here in Europe but after looking around I could get them for around 230€ from the UK...
Another one to think about!
And I did think about just getting the MS1 but then I tell myself that I'd rather get more of a mid-high end phone and then I'm thinking the MS1 could be enough after all and then...
Trying to find new headphones makes my head spin
confused_face.gif
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 26
I'm looking for an upgrade from my HD 555s as well. After looking around a bit it seems that the Denon D2000s were recommended a lot. It's hard to find it for around $200, though. Also the fact that it's closed is a bit of a turn off but I really shouldn't be so picky. Oh and the D2000s are supposed to be really tuned up on the bass side but still retaining quality (better have some EQ settings at hand though).

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 26
I went from the HD555s to HD650s and am very pleased with my purchase. I've only listened to the phones for a couple hours so they are far from broken in yet but the first thing I noticed is that bass is much more prominent on the 650s. However, the bass isn't overly pronounced, it's always punchy and sounds and feels just right. Highs are less harsh on the 650s, but just as detailed, very crisp. The midrange is excellent, liquid smooth. Oh and I am noticing some fine details in my music that I never heard before. Overall I feel like these cans have filled the void on everything I felt was lacking on the 555s. It's not as big as the jump from cheap headphones to mid-range ones, but still significant. So significant I don't think I ever want to listen to my 555s again
tongue.gif
Electronic/Techno music in particular sounds so much more involving on these headphones. Honestly, I think I've found the perfect headphones and don't plan on upgrading for a LONG time, if ever.

Also I've read some posts here talking about a veil on the 650s, but I haven't noticed that at all. If anything, the sound seems to be more upfront than it was on the 555s. Soundstage is larger too.

Although I haven't listened to them myself, from what I've heard the HD600 is similar, so if you don't want to spend the extra money on the 650s, I say go for it.

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 26
I'm actually surprised to see people recommending the AD700s for indie et al music that Jazz9 says is the music of choice. I just don't think they have enough oomph for that kind of music. I'm really not a rock guy at all but I had some Denon 1001s for half a day (returned to store immediately) because they were way to rock oriented for me and I simply hated my Grado SR60s for the same reason. The Allesandro MS-1s could be a good option but a pal I know has a pro studio and listens to all his rock oriented mixes on Beyerdynamic DT770s just to make sure he's got the thump right in the mix.

Are we confusing you yet?

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #12 of 26
Thanks for your advice everyone!

I'll be looking at the options you're recommending but concerning cans like HD600 and 650 I never really read that they were that good with indie/pop/rock when not driven by great amps (but I understand that not everyone likes to listen to rock the way it's portrayed by a grado or others).

The AD700 were in fact my first choice but after thinking more I don't think they'd be a big upgrade and while they're a great deal at <100$ in the US here in France they're 150€ or 130€ from Ebay UK. I'd rather spend a little more and get a "higher-class" can.

The Denon D2000 seem to be a good fit for my needs even if the bass seems to be overwhelming at times (would a Zero Dac/Amp do a good job there? Any owners of this combo?) so for now it gets my nod (but for 230€...would it still be worth it? better alternatives?).

I fully know that headphones like HD650, HD600 are technically better than the others but I think I want to try something else.
The HD555/595 are said to be the (not so
tongue.gif
) "fun" phones from Sennheiser so I wouldn't want to buy HD600/650 and find them even more veiled and slow because my amp can't make them sing.

Grados , especially SR225, are recommended for rock/metal (albeit not exactly the same kind of music I listen to) but the prices here for Grados are totally prohibitive and I think they'd be a little too much treble wise for me anyways. The only alternative would be an Alessandro MS1 and I think that's what I'll take if there's no higher end can that fits me.

I want something lively, immersing that would make my indie/pop/rock records shine. If it can do some other genres well (acoustic, electronica) then great, but if not that's no big deal.

And even if I find myself disappointed with my new headphones it would not be all that bad.
I've accepted the fact that I'm gonna make some mistakes along the way and at least I'll know better what kind of sound I'm looking for.

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #13 of 26
Go Hd600,you won't regret it.I had the 595 before,and it's miles better.The levels of clarity,impact and detail cannot even be compared.And they are not that hard to drive,really,even from a modest source like the EMU 0404 you notice the great superiority of the 600.Or try to find a 580,they're every bit as good as the 600 but cheaper.

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 26
I think I'm gonna go with one of these:

HD650: 250-260€ (My absolute max)
HD600: 230€
Denon AH-D2000: 220-230€
ATH-AD900:200-210€
Ultrasone Proline 750: 190-200€

I still listed The Senns because despite the fact that I said that they would be used for Indie/Pop/Rock with A Zero Dac/Amp people still recommended them to me in this thread.

I'm leaning toward the Denons for now. From what I read they seem to be more or less what I'm looking for even if I find them overpriced compared to the Senns.

I also looked at the AD900 (airy, fast cans) and Pro 750 (the most "dynamic of the bunch) but they're distant outsiders for now.

Still if you have some more advice for me feel free to do so!
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fully know that headphones like HD650, HD600 are technically better than the others but I think I want to try something else.
The HD555/595 are said to be the (not so
tongue.gif
) "fun" phones from Sennheiser so I wouldn't want to buy HD600/650 and find them even more veiled and slow because my amp can't make them sing.

My 650s are hooked up to an iBasso D2 amp. It's a decent amp but in all honesty the Zero Dac/Amp is probably better for driving these headphones. I may upgrade my source in the future but right now I feel it is adequate, not noticing a veil at all. And like I said, the sound is more upfront than it was on my 555s. These headphones are anything but slow also, in complex electronica they really shine.

Either way, the Denons look like a fine choice. I haven't heard them myself though so couldn't do a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back