Upgrade from HD449 (something more comfortable, with a touch more bass)
Jun 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

willprice

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm currently using the HD449, I quite like the sound, however I find it a little lacking in bass. My main issue with the 'phones is that they clamp down on my head too hard and give me a headache quite quickly, my ears poke out a bit more than most! I will spend up to £200 (not that I'd like to spend that much, £150 would be better) providing I can wear the 'phones all day comfortably.

I listen to a lot of DJ sets by the likes of Hybrid, Apparat and Bonobo. I'm also enjoy listening to band like: The Antlers, The National, The Neighbourhood, Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros. A bunch of folky things, and film scores (Joe Hisashi, Thomas Newman, Hans Zimmer). Obviously I'm not expecting the headphones to perform beautifully over all genres, but I felt I should list a reasonable assessment of my listening habits for people to take into account when providing suggestions.

Main concerns:
* Comfort
* Sound quality

Everything after that doesn't matter, they can be ugly, open backed, whatever... I'm using them in my room whilst studying and couldn't care less! If I'm barking up the wrong tree with comfortable headphones, I'm open to suggestions for IEMs (in which case please move my thread).

Many thanks indeed.
-- Will

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 2
I think the SoundMAGIC HP100s would suit you well.  With the stock pads, they do touch my outer ear, but I bought DT 770 pads for them, and they not only fit perfectly, but they also substantially enhance the comfort.  And of course they sound fantastic.  Very clean and clear, but not lacking in bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back