Upgrade from HD 555, want a lil warmer, a tad more bass, not so piercing highs...
Mar 26, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #16 of 22
I haven't listened to the HD-555, but the modifications described in the following thread improve the HD-595 substantially in the areas you are talking about:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230079

The first modification requires cutting the headphone housing. The second alternative modification accomplishes the same thing and involves no non-reversible changes to the headphone, simply lining the inside of the cups with acoustic foam.

Any upper midrange harshness on the HD-595 (or the 555) is caused by reflections and smearing of the mids and highs from the back of the driver. This can be very easily damped without any reduction in the highs from the front of the driver. Amazing difference in the midrange. Much more apparent bass. Soundstage extends about two feet beyond the headphones. Scary.

Total cost: A pair of replacement foam pads from Radio Shack to carve up (or replacement 580 foams), a bottle of rubber cement, and a pair of scissors. Takes about an hour.

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, can you comment on 880\990?
Damn, Davesrose, don't leave me, you have all headphones i'm interesting in
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you give some kind of review\comparison of 580\595\650! And what kind of music do you like?

I don't have much experience with the 880/990s: I'm not a Beyer fan, so can't help you there. I notice you have a lunchbox hp amp. They're supposed to be good for their price range (haven't listened to one, so just going by others impressions of it). So I would think you've got a setup that should do alright for either the 580/595/650. I think maybe the best way to tell you the differences is to tell you which genres I like each of these headphones for. Keep in mind that I'm a bit more biased toward the 650 now, because its my general can now
icon10.gif

HD650: It does have more bass and soundstage then the 580 and 595. It really does electronica and large scale symphonies well. It's very liquidy smooth....so it feels at home with blues and jazz too. It's the best of the 3 for percussions. With a good source and amp, it gets a lot of speed for most rock. Out of most systems, it does alright with alternative.

HD595: More upfront and less bass then the HD650. Percussions are the main weakness of the HD595 IMO. But it has more detail and really feels at home with accoustic and alternative music. It's one of the more aggressive Senns, and can easily compete with any Grado for classic rock, hard rock, and punk.

HD580: Very similar tonality as the HD595, but has a larger and more refined soundstage. Seems less upfront, so some think it sounds more lush. Because of its soundscape, it's less aggressive then the HD595, but does really well for music that needs soundstage. It's also good for movies. It does quite well with small ensembles, jazz, and alternative. It's not as hard rocking as the HD595.

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

So 580 is more like 595 than 650...right?
BTW, what kind of mod on your 580?
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally, I found the 580 to be closer to the 650, not closer to 595.
My 580 sounds good with NO mods.
Of course, the 580 and 650 need a decent amp to sound the best, but the 595 will work okay even without any amp at all.

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

...an equal or better soundstage. Amped. Thinking about HD 650. Everyone's responses are welcome!!!

Go with the HD650s, just make sure you have the money to spend on a decent amp & source for them. They sound like crap on a stereo reciever, MP3 Player, or out of a computer jack.

Mar 27, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

And how the DT 880 and 990 for my needs?

I have the Sennheiser HD600 now and have used the HD 650 for quite some time before. I have also listened to the HD 555, as one of my friend has them. The difference between the beyerdynamic DT 990 (I have the PRO-version) and the Sennheiser's are much bigger than the difference between the two HD 6x0 Sennheisers. The quality of the HD 555 is quite nice for a low-priced headphone, but I hear them as "strained" compared to the HD 6x0's. The HD 6x0 have more "space" and are more refined than the HD 555. The beyer's are more "colder/harder" and more "demanding" than the ever soundwise comfortable Sennheiser's.

The beyerdynamic's is "colder", has more defined bass and more "piercing" highs compared to the Sennheiser's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back