Upgrade from Er6i -> Super.Fi 5?
Jan 14, 2008 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kidro2001

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone, I've been lurking here for quite some time and have found several good suggestions but I wanted to get some opinions for a particular upgrade.

I currently have the Er6i's but I am looking to upgrade. I love the detail but want something a bit more dynamic and engaging. I am starting to listen to some music with heavier bass and they don't really seem satisfying.

Any ideas of what to upgrade to? I am looking to spend about 150ish. I was thinking about the Super.Fi 5. It is only 130 on Amazon right now. Thanks.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 22
Yes, I'd def go the SF5's, having had both earphones, the SF5's are a definite upgrade. The dual drivers are great, they have great bass, without overpowering the mids/highs!

Only thing is the comfort, but once you do the Flip Flop mod, you'll be sweet!

Jan 14, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 22
Hi,

I'm currently in the same position as kidro2001. My er6i's have broken and are out of warranty, so I'm looking to upgrade. The SF5's seem to be the logical replacement, but do they fit in the ear in the same way as the er6i's and block out the back ground noise in the same way?

Jan 14, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 22
The fit is slightly different:

UE SF5 -
VIDEOue.jpg

ER6i -
gallery_1138_24_38455.jpg

The problem with the ER6i, is the microphonics, due to the nature of the cable (not twisted [I think]) and the fact it hangs straight down, I experienced really bad microphonics (horrible noise when cord is rubbed/moved).

The SF5 (picture shown is standard), this is what it looks like when you flip flop (flip side) mod it:
video_superfi_mod_002.jpg

It takes a bit to get used to, if you have spare $$, I highly suggest purchasing a Westone ES2 cable and modifying it, its much more comfy, and does enhance the SQ (IMHO)

Jan 14, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always been detracted from getting the Superfi series because of how I saw them in the ears..however, that mod makes it look much more comfortable and less noticable!

if you view my public profile, there is a sexy picture of me wearing the SF3's flip modded! my ears are a bit random, so they dont sit flush!

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 22
I concur with all above posts. I just recently upgraded from the IM716's and am quite pleased with the SF5 pro's. The flip flop mod works wonders with the profile of the drivers as well as the fit. They do sound amazing, and well worth the $139 I paid at Amazon.

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 22
the sf5 pro's are a great upgrade from er6i's. however, they were better in every aspect except for piano. i just felt that piano in the er6i's were more real.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by noblsheep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the sf5 pro's are a great upgrade from er6i's. however, they were better in every aspect except for piano. i just felt that piano in the er6i's were more real.

Totally. The Super.fi are a better phone overall although I wish I still had my er-6i's too.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 22
i've had the sf5ps, and while i think they did have a pretty GOOD sound, i didnt find it all too entertaining (for rock music atleast). The low end was there, but the mids seemed a little dry. Coming from ety's, you might feel like you gave up all the goodness the etys gave u for some low end. I found the sure e4c's to be more musical, but they didnt have nearly as much thump (but still, they had decent bass).

what am i telling you? Well, it seems to me that at that 150$ price point or so, its all give or take. e4c lacks the low lows and the high highs, but has sweet mids. the sf5ps have the highs and lows, but lack mids and a musicality sense. The er4ps (though i haven't heard them) supposedly lack the low end, but are amazing elsewhere.

Who knows...........

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've had the sf5ps, and while i think they did have a pretty GOOD sound, i didnt find it all too entertaining (for rock music atleast). The low end was there, but the mids seemed a little dry. Coming from ety's, you might feel like you gave up all the goodness the etys gave u for some low end. I found the sure e4c's to be more musical, but they didnt have nearly as much thump (but still, they had decent bass).

what am i telling you? Well, it seems to me that at that 150$ price point or so, its all give or take. e4c lacks the low lows and the high highs, but has sweet mids. the sf5ps have the highs and lows, but lack mids and a musicality sense. The er4ps (though i haven't heard them) supposedly lack the low end, but are amazing elsewhere.

Who knows...........

I know. It's called Triple Fi, but the price is significantly more.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 22
Lol chase i was all ready to order the SF5 until I read your post. I do listen to about 70% Rock music (Britpop, Indie) so maybe I should look at the Shures E4c/SE210. Hopefully I can find a local store to test.

Thanks for everyones help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back