Upgrade from Er6i -> Super.Fi 5?
Jan 15, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #16 of 22
I would really get the SF5 Pro over E4c/SE210. The Shures do have the midrange, but their bass and treble are so rolled off it's almost boring to listen to.

Honestly, SF5 Pro are usually seen as very fun/musical (whatever that means) IEMs and I think that going from SF5 Pro to Shure E4c/SE210 would be an enormous step back.

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 22
I was tempted to get the se210's as they are available locally in my area, but after reading numerous posts on the forum, I went with the sf5pro's. Again, they sound terrific, coming from the IM716's. The only complaint I have is that aside from the supplied set of foamies, I'm not a big fan of their sleeves. I just received the shure olives and will be modding them to fit the sf's.

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rugby10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur with all above posts. I just recently upgraded from the IM716's and am quite pleased with the SF5 pro's. The flip flop mod works wonders with the profile of the drivers as well as the fit. They do sound amazing, and well worth the $139 I paid at Amazon.

Are you confusing them with the SF5 EB? I haven't been able to find the Pro's that cheap, especially at Amazon, and incidentally that $139 is very close to the price of the EBs.

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you confusing them with the SF5 EB? I haven't been able to find the Pro's that cheap, especially at Amazon, and incidentally that $139 is very close to the price of the EBs.

I just checked amazon today and apparently the price of the Super.fi 5 pros have gone up since a couple of days ago. They definitely were at $139 for the red colored ones but now they are around $159ish... sigh.

I do think the SF5 pros are good for you, but you may also want to check out the Westone UM1s which offer more comfort, better wires, and better design at $109. It is a single driver IEM but should still suit your needs perfectly fine if not better. But in the end, all of this is just based on my experience, so you may have to try a couple pairs before you are satisfied.

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #20 of 22
I was never really happy with the E4's or 210's. Super Fi's were much better for me, but the highs on the E4's are better.

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarneri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just checked amazon today and apparently the price of the Super.fi 5 pros have gone up since a couple of days ago. They definitely were at $139 for the red colored ones but now they are around $159ish... sigh.

I do think the SF5 pros are good for you, but you may also want to check out the Westone UM1s which offer more comfort, better wires, and better design at $109. It is a single driver IEM but should still suit your needs perfectly fine if not better. But in the end, all of this is just based on my experience, so you may have to try a couple pairs before you are satisfied.

Cripes, I just bought the Super.fi 5EB at $139 shipped, it's the cheapest I could find the blacks for. I could have gotten the whites a little cheaper at Amazon, but it wasn't worth the $3 difference. I wonder when the Pros were so low if the EBs would have been even lower.

By the way to the OP and others wondering, what about the EB's? I hear very good things about bass. Though, I didn't buy them for music, I bought them because my late-night movie watching is lacking the sub punch even with the Shure E500's. I also got the SE420's recently on ebay, for $199 plus $15 shipping, it's a great deal and the seller is all right. The seller seems to have run out of Shures (he had several SE530's very cheap as well), but shopping around maybe you can find good deals on the 420s. My E500's are probably be going away.

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidro2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Everyone, I've been lurking here for quite some time and have found several good suggestions but I wanted to get some opinions for a particular upgrade.

I currently have the Er6i's but I am looking to upgrade. I love the detail but want something a bit more dynamic and engaging. I am starting to listen to some music with heavier bass and they don't really seem satisfying.

Any ideas of what to upgrade to? I am looking to spend about 150ish. I was thinking about the Super.Fi 5. It is only 130 on Amazon right now. Thanks.

Have you tried the er6i with an amp with bass boost? I found that it lost all of the "thinness" and kept all of the clarity.

That said, I went to the um2 and I am not looking back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back