Upgrade from DT990 with more bass? Closed only please.
Mar 7, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 19
Yes, I am pretty sure its a bad connection due to my soldering. I however have to wait until I get some better desolder braid or a solder sucker of some sort... My current desolder braid doesn't work at all it seems, it heats up but it doesn't heat up the solder underneath, just ends up burning my hand from holding the solder...

Any recommendations for good solder wick? I just bought the cheapest stuff I could find on ebay, some good solder while you are at it would be cool also.

hi... so this is what I have used with pretty good results..
Aven 17542 Desoldering wick
https://www.amazon.com/Aven-17542-Desoldering-2-5mm-Length/dp/B017ODKIPC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488861549&sr=8-3&keywords=solder+wick

on thing i would add... is that you need a soldering iron that gets pretty hot.... ideally a variable temp soldering station..

the first time I tried desoldering i used a $10 radioshack soldering iron (don't remember how many watts) and it was a disaster and didn't work...   I picked up a Stahl tools SSTV variable temp soldering station... for very cheap.. it worked pretty well but wasn't amazing

https://www.amazon.com/Stahl-Tools-SSVT-Temperature-Soldering/dp/B0029N70WM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1488861862&sr=8-9&keywords=soldering+station

and then I was in again at another radio shack and they had a digital soldering station on close out for like $30~ (or something I don't remember) but whatever.. this is what I use now and since it is compatible with Hakko tips I got a tip set  this is what I use now.. but I don't think it is available at all anymore.

I hate trying to use the conical tip soldering irons (well for almost anything) I use a chisel tip when desoldering and set the temp to like 750~ or so and go in hot and quick ... I wouldn't claim to be an "expert" solder guy however so if anyone better advice feel free to speak up..  but this works well for what i have done... u just don't want keep the tip on too long and burn something..

sometimes if the wick doesn't want to work you might try adding a little solder then try the wick again... I've had to so this a few times on various things.

oh solder wise I just use 60/40 rosin solder .. mine is from radioshack

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #17 of 19
Alright, I'll pick up that desoldering braid and see how it plays out. I have an Aoyue 469 I got for about 35 bucks on ebay, supposedly a chinese knock off of an hakko one that accepts hakko tips. I'll pick up some chisel tips also.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #18 of 19
Alright, I'll pick up that desoldering braid and see how it plays out. I have an Aoyue 469 I got for about 35 bucks on ebay, supposedly a chinese knock off of an hakko one that accepts hakko tips. I'll pick up some chisel tips also.

well I haven't used that model.. but it seems like it should be fine.. what temp did you have it set at when trying the desolder? 

I think you will find the chisel tip helps ... I know it is MUCH easier for me with a chisel tip anyways...

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #19 of 19
I had at at 5/10, I don't really know what temp that is though. But it nearly instantly turns cold solder to molten solder at that temp. The solder wick I have acts as a heatsink so it just gets hot without heating the solder underneath it, I'll pick up a flux pen while I'm at it.

Thanks for all the help though! I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back