Upgrade from DT 1770 -- recommendations please
Aug 9, 2021 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jbwheels

New Head-Fier
I've had my DT 1770's for a few years, and I really like them, but I'm starting to focus on the shortcomings instead of the music (I think this may be common :wink: ). IMO those seem to be detail, imaging, and (somewhat) clarity. So first let's start with what I've owned (minus the current fave):
  1. ATH-M50 -- Fun but all about the bass :)
  2. Fidelio X1 -- I loved these. I only upgraded because the earpads wore out. I haven't tried the later models, but I get the impression that they don't match the quality of the originals.
  3. AKG 7XX -- Hated these. From what I can recall, they sounded like someone was holding the drivers several inches from my ears.
  4. iBasso SR1 -- I really liked these. The cable kept falling out of one of the cups, so I put them aside and now they have disappeared :frowning2:
  5. Verum 1 -- Ignoring the maker's shameless antisemitism, I like these a lot (I've actually switched to these recently). My only complaint is the bass -- lacks impact, a bit flabby, and sometimes sounds half-hearted.
So it sounds like I really need a pair of semi-opens (as the X1's). I'm going to have to spend some cash to improve on these, but I'm hoping for a sale around $600; my absolute max is $900. My musical preferences, in no particular order: female rap (faster, more melodic, and greater percussion range), pop (Dua Lipa, Tove Lo, Zara Larsson), EDM (David Guetta, Steve Aoki, Armin van Buuren). Looking at that list, it doesn't look like I can compromise much, maybe soundstage, and solid, deep bass is a must.

atm I'm considering Drop's Aeon Open X (edit: maybe the closed would be more appropriate) or RT's, Focal Elegia, Massdrop Elex, LCD-2 (not sure if the Classic is good enough)... well, truly now I'm just throwing darts. I can eq the phones (if they can manage), swap pads, filters, whatever. This post is getting long and I think this is plenty of info, so please reply with your advice, recommendations, illuminations, and help of any kind.

Thank you!
jb

PS My source is an SMSL SU-8 and the amp is the SP200, so power is no problem.

(edit) And they must be sturdy. I'm disabled and remove my headphones with one hand. My M50's eventually (after a couple years or so) snapped due to the stress.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back