Upgrade from Darkvoice 336 to 337?
Sep 22, 2007 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

samsie

New Head-Fier
Dear fellow head-fi-er,

I would like to seek your advice.

I use Grado RS-1 and Darkvoice 336 for almost a year. I put RCA tubes in the 336. It sounds great.

I tried a darkvoice 337 in an audio company recently. The sound separation and smoothness really impressed me. (though I do not feel it is more powerful than the 336- maybe because of the Grado RS-1 headphone does not need a lot of power)

I am thinking of upgrade my system. I want to buy a new CD player instead of using a Sony DVD player connect to a Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC.

I cannot have both as there is not enough space to accomodate an additional CD player and Darkvoice 337.

Please give me some advice,

Sam

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 16
337 is the right choice if you can haul it home yourself; shipping the beast is an exercise in frustration and disappointment.

GL

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 16
Shipping is not a problem. As a matter of facts, the amp costs about only $500 in Hong Kong. I am not sure it is better to modified the 336 or get a new 337 with tube rolling.

Regards

Sam

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 16
From what I have read, it all starts with the transport all the way down.

I would recommend upgrading the CD player, with a midrange product, and save the other half for the 337.

At least that's what I would do.. I need to upgrade my CD transport, but this is my first headphone setup. Better to get a decent amp first, than a decent CDP. Now that I have a decent amp, it's time to upgrade the CDP.

Just my $.02

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 16
go for it then! it is a big upgrade from 336. assume you will change the stock tube
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 16
I have been using a 336i which impressed me so much I have ordered a 337. I am looking forward to receiving it, hopefully late this coming week.

And Chesebert is certainly correct that the stock tubes must be changed to get the most out of either of these Darkvoice amps.

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been using a 336i which impressed me so much I have ordered a 337. I am looking forward to receiving it, hopefully late this coming week.

And Chesebert is certainly correct that the stock tubes must be changed to get the most out of either of these Darkvoice amps.

GL! I have heard some bad stories about some 337 not holding up during shipment. e.g. broken parts inside.

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GL! I have heard some bad stories about some 337 not holding up during shipment. e.g. broken parts inside.

This doesn't worry me. I bought mine from eBay seller Jasmine_Chine, who has been fantastic to deal with every time I have bought something. If mine arrives busted, I have no concern about getting a replacement from Jasmine.

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 16
Transportation is not a problem. I will buy it from a retailer if I decide to go ahead. I am lucky that I can pick one up myself after testing.
I hesitate to buy one because the dual volume controls is troublesome. It is difficult to adjust if the amp is not put to table/chest level. I prefer something with balance control knob. It is also rather bulky and I have the 336 which is acceptable after tube rolling.

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This doesn't worry me. I bought mine from eBay seller Jasmine_Chine, who has been fantastic to deal with every time I have bought something. If mine arrives busted, I have no concern about getting a replacement from Jasmine.

Who bears the shipping cost in that instance - the shipper, Jasmine, or you???

In the case, of 3c-Store, the buyer bears the return/exchange shipping costs, if the shipper doesn't. 3c-Store is quite clear - it bears no cost for return/exchange shipping for warranty coverage, or whatever. And... I think the other vendors have the same policy - they don't pay for return/exchange shipping.

If that's the case, and the shipper doesn't bear the responsibility (which I doubt they will, unless the package is obviously damaged upon arrival), then these potential costs have to be a major consideration when buying an amp from China.

It would likely be less costly to have the amp repaired by your local repair shop ($160 round trip shipping). And... given the relatively low cost of these amps (337 excepted) - that in effect, pretty well, makes the warranty null (or nearly so).

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #12 of 16
Gradofan2,

I live in Hong Kong. There is a retail shop which sell the 337 amp. I can test it before I take it home. In case this heavy amp needs repair, they offer home visit service for $13 dollars.

Regards

Sam

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #15 of 16
Samsie,

Yeah... my question was a general question for those buying these amps outside of China in response to Cheesbert's report that some had been received with internal damage (loose parts) - who bears the costs.

You're forunate that issue is not a consideration for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back