Upgrade from Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020
Dec 25, 2022 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ciscokid96

Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

Fairly new to the hobby and have figured out that so far, out of the IEMs I own, I like the sound signature of my Andromeda 2020 over my other IEMs that are more praised by the public. For reference, I turn to the Andromedas more often over Anole VX, IER-Z1R, and Monarch mkii.

The reason for this is that it plays my library better than any IEM I've heard so far (don't have much experience yet). I listen to a lot of post-hardcore, metal, and rock. Generally a lot of genres that utilize rhythm guitar and frequent cymbals. With most of the IEMs I've owned, rhythm guitars and/or cymbals don't sound enjoyable to my ears. I don't know yet exactly what it is, but I can't listen to these songs at the same volume I would with other genres and the song sounds way too busy and congested usually. This is less of a case with Anole VX and Monarch mkii which were the first IEMs I found to do some of my metal library well. But these weren't consistent and did only some songs well. When I received the Andromeda 2020, they were only meant to be for movies and gaming, but now they are my favorite for my general library. They are more consistent with the metal music than any other IEM I own. I never expected this actually and I don't hear much people talking about this being a good IEM for metal, but metal sounds really good to my ears with the Andromeda 2020. But it also isn't fully consistent, there are still some metal songs that sound off. I noticed I really like how heavy power chords sound on Andromeda, I found this to be the same on Anole VX, but more on the Andromeda.

So I wanted to know what would be a direct upgrade from the Andromeda 2020 sound signature. I would like something with the same tuning and presentation, but with better technicalities/details/resolution possibly. I'm not familiar with sound signatures which is why I need somebody to direct me to something that sounds similar but at a higher price point for better performance.

Some examples of songs that wowed me on the Andromeda 2020 are:
Freed by The Plot in You
Already Dead by Happy Hour
Pressure by Divide Music

It is mostly the heavy power chords that I enjoy in these songs.

I will also welcome any recommendations on IEMs that play metal well. Specifically genres similar to the bands I listed above. It is not the heaviest/speediest of metal, but it's somewhat hard-core.

TLDR; what is an IEM with similar sound signature to CA Andromeda 2020, but with better technicalities/details/resolution at a higher price? Or what are some high end IEMs best suited for post-hardcore and rock music?

Dec 26, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 4
Dec 29, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 4
Feb 28, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 4
Cool, thanks for your recommendation. I'll be researching more about these and hopefully get to hear them sometime in the future.
I see that you love it IEM's and have a lot of money invested in them. Call me jealous 😁

But I have a serious consideration for you. Why don't you try the Chi-Fi Aful Performer 8 (1 DD x 7 BA) for $400 on Amazon? If you don't like them, you can send them back easily. Just use your own tips (i prefer Comply 500 Variety Pack with Oval, Round 2.0 & Original sizes).

I owned the CA Andromeda's and Dorado's (BOTH were the OG pairs from 2018) and these blow them away IMO. I would love to give CA another chance, but there's simply no reason for me to "upgrade" anymore after finding these.

The resolution and technicalities you're seeking might be right here 👍✌️ They're amazing for my live recordings needs AND have handled every genre of live recordings and albums very well. I haven't specifically tested some heavy metal yet, but I'll listen to some old school Metallica i love and get back to you.

But these are the most revealing and pricise IEM's I've ever used and its amazing what they're able to reproduce!!!

Aful Acoustics IS a legit chifi company with actual experience and has some amazing patents of their own. The 3 ultra high BA's in them DO sound neverending like electrostatics and NEVER get harsh, just like a good electrostatic driver.

I can't recommend these rather unknown IEM's enough and I just can't see spending more money for something MARGINALLY better at most, for 3-4x the price. Been there done that, and I can honestly say these will probably be my ENDGAME IEM's!!!

So you don't ALWAYS have to spend MORE to get what you want or for something better. That's not always the case, especially in the audio world (which I've been into heavily for around 30 years now! Technology has advanced rapidly lately and it shows!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back