Upgrade from CAL
Dec 30, 2012 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gorionn

New Head-Fier
Hello. 
I really like my CALs in terms of sound quality and fun from listening, but they are too painful for me. Ear cups are not big enough to cover my ear and its impossible to wear them for 2h+ without earache (part of auricle is squeezed), therefore I'm looking for bigger and comfortable headphones that can provide much more comfort. I use Maya U5 and listen to metal, mostly death and black, sometimes power/doom/symphonic etc). Firstly I thought SL 681/668b would be a good choice but I'm not sure about their earcups, a lot of people desribe them really severely so maybe sound gonna be decent, but still, we are missing comfort. Brainwavz HM5 are next, which are almost on edge of my budget (around 100$, anyway prefer buying in my country - Poland). They are well builded and big, should easily cover my whole ear. But meh, I really don't know what to choose although there aren't so many options. Some time ago I tried HD555 - amazing comfort, sound quality is diffrent than CAL and I think kinda worse (?).

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 14
Beyerdynamic DT770LE should suit you well. They have plenty of room inside and are well suited for metal in sound signature. Definite upgrade in jutt about every area except midrange, which will be a tad behind in comparison, but cleaner.

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Hello. 
I really like my CALs in terms of sound quality and fun from listening, but they are too painful for me. Ear cups are not big enough to cover my ear and its impossible to wear them for 2h+ without earache (part of auricle is squeezed), therefore I'm looking for bigger and comfortable headphones that can provide much more comfort. I use Maya U5 and listen to metal, mostly death and black, sometimes power/doom/symphonic etc). Firstly I thought SL 681/668b would be a good choice but I'm not sure about their earcups, a lot of people desribe them really severely so maybe sound gonna be decent, but still, we are missing comfort. Brainwavz HM5 are next, which are almost on edge of my budget (around 100$, anyway prefer buying in my country - Poland). They are well builded and big, should easily cover my whole ear. But meh, I really don't know what to choose although there aren't so many options. Some time ago I tried HD555 - amazing comfort, sound quality is diffrent than CAL and I think kinda worse (?).

Heya,

What exactly was not comfortable about the CAL! for you? It will help with recommendations.

Very best,

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Earcups size and pressure. 

In that case, the HM5 will not be comfortable either (has high clamp pressure at first).

Sounds to me like you need to just explore stretching/bending your headbands on headphones to relieve pressure. And you can do that to any of them. And get whatever headphone works for you. Most people are going to have a hard time recommending anything for you that works since you're in a country where these things are much more expensive than in others and availability for you is limited (ie, a $150 headphone here is probably $300 or more for you). The Superlux are actually great. Try and get one. Stretch the headband.

Very best,

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 14
Is using Denon D1000 earpad improve the comfort? What other earpads are compatible with the CAL!?

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Is using Denon D1000 earpad improve the comfort? What other earpads are compatible with the CAL!?

The pads from the Denon 1001 are near identical to the CAL pads. All the pads from the current Denon portable line fit (D1100, 510, 310). None I suspect will increase comfort significantly if the stock CAL pads are uncomfortable.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
The pads from the Denon 1001 are near identical to the CAL pads. All the pads from the current Denon portable line fit (D1100, 510, 310). None I suspect will increase comfort significantly if the stock CAL pads are uncomfortable.

I saw in Tyll review, the Denon one seems to be softer and thinner that why I am interested to know if there are better. Probably someone here with both can share their experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back