upgrade from beyer 990 premium?
Nov 12, 2015 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BlueSundays

100+ Head-Fier

Hello. Unfortunately the cable on my 2006 beyer 990s disintigrated and I pulled it apart trying to straighten it out. I tried splicing the wires back together but it didnt work. Well, I think its time for some new cans.
I have tried many many cans over the years Senn 580-650, beyer 880, 990, t1, MDR-R10(this is the best), CD3000, GS1000, rs-1 ms pro, green leather at 3000s, etc... etc... 
For a cheap setup up I prefer the 990dts (which is all I can afford right now) though I did own the t1 at the same time, and preferred the 990s as they had more weight in their presentation.
If I had the cary amp (300 sei I used to own) Id go senn 600 with cardas cable but I cannot afford that. 

Since I sold the R10s its been all downhill and now Ive been somewhat minimalistic but enjoying the crack/990.

Right now my amp is a crack amp/ speed ball not installed and an old sony x707 esd.  So what would be an upgrade from the 990s that has a similar sound signature that would sound good with the crack amp if possible or with another inexpensive amp like a schitt or the like? Keep in mind I prefered the 990 over the t1 and the budget will not let me go too much over $500 but just for reference sake something over that would be noted.

Thank you for your input!

KS

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 7
Which Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium do you currently own? the 32-Ohm or 250-ohm or 600-Ohm?
I say to get the DT990 600-Ohm version, find the best price for a used one, in good condition.

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 7
I own the 250. Should have mentioned that.

I did at one time purchase a manufaktur 600ohm 990dt in red and silver that had I think silver dragon cable installed. It used to be on Moon audio's web site. That thing sounded wrong. 
It was rediculously fat and bloated sounding. It was awful. Im laughing thinking about it. I was really disapointed and I wasnt sure if it was messed up
because people said it was a bit lusher sounding than the 250ohm version but this thing was total mush. So Im a bit hesitant to buy one but yes that is a very logical
next step. Its just a question of was mine messed up or is it supposed to sound like that. Spent a good amount of coin on that thing with manufaktur and recable. sheesh. Moon audio probably messed up the recable somehow. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 7
I think my DT990 Premium 600-Ohm sound great plugged into my A/V receiver.
I also own the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm and I can notice how the 600-Ohm Premium has better bass control

What were you using to drive the Moon Audio DT990 headphones?

If the headphones sounded bad, then should not the guys working at Moon Audio have noticed when they did the re-cabling?
I would assume they would have listened to the headphones after the re-cabling, before shipping.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 7
The DT 990 is perhaps the only high impedance V-shaped headphone in your price range.  Perhaps get a 600 Ohm one?

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 7
  I think my DT990 Premium 600-Ohm sound great plugged into my A/V receiver.
I also own the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm and I can notice how the 600-Ohm Premium has better bass control

What were you using to drive the Moon Audio DT990 headphones?

If the headphones sounded bad, then should not the guys working at Moon Audio have noticed when they did the re-cabling?
I would assume they would have listened to the headphones after the re-cabling, before shipping.

They might not have listened to it. I had it sent directly from the manufactur place to moon audio and then to me. I believe I was using a WA2 at the time. I think I also tried it with my Cary300-SEI F1 edition which is NOT like the standard 300 sei. Its way more reference meaning its accurate. I bet if you plugged a senn 800 into that thing, a stax 009 just might **** its pants. I tried the line out from my x7esd cdp which is a high quality amp. All the same results.

It sounded nothing like my 990dts 250s with maybe better highs or lows, it sounded like a plastic basshead can that was for bassheads who didnt like treble or midrange either.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back